Installing SeaDAS with sudo or not?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
testth
Answers: 0

by testth » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 am America/New_York

Hello,
I want to install SeaDAS 7.3.2 under Ubuntu. Should I install it with "root" privileges using the "sudo" command into /opt/seadas_7.3.2 or should I install it from a normal user login into /home/seadas_7.3.2?
Regards

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am America/New_York

It is better to install SeaDAS as a normal user in your home directory or a dir that you have write privileges for.  I usually install it in

/home/<user>/local/seadas7.3.2

There will be issues with permissions if you install as root.

don

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:47 am America/New_York

The general principle is that sudo should only be used when absolutely necessary.  SeaDAS works fine when installed without sudo.

Are you hoping to share one Seadas 7 install among multiple users?   That is generally not a good idea -- the GUI needs a lot of resources so multiple users will bog down, and since SeaDAS 7 is not generally used that way there may be conflicts waiting to be discovered by your users.  You should install SeaDAS separately for each user in /home/<user_N>/seadas_7.3.2, where <user_N> is replaced by your actual username,  from your normal user login.  If you are doing installs for multiple users you can use sudo --user=<user_N> to do the install as if you were <user_N>.   If there is limited space in the user home directories, you can install SeaDAS to a disk partition that has more space.  For most people, the space needed for SeaDAS 7 is much smaller than the space needed for the data being used with SeaDAS, so there is usually no problem finding space for multiple SeaDAS installs.

testth

by testth » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 am America/New_York

Yes, I hoped to install SeaDAS only one time and to share it for multiple users. Now I learned it is better to install SeaDAS for each user.
Thanks for the help.