git & ocssw install

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
carenb
Answers: 0

git & ocssw install

by carenb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am America/New_York

Hi, I'm trying to install the ocssw processor on ubuntu 14.04 but am running into a problem with git I think.

I rebuilt git from source as described here (https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/forum/oceancolor/topic_show.pl?pid=27714) and made sure its pointing to the latest version (2.11.0) but I still get an error after running the ocssw install.

./install_ocssw.py --install-dir=/home/seadas/ocssw --git-branch=7.3 --aqua --seawifs

Installing common (2 of 15)
fatal: unable to access 'https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/ocssw/common.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: Handshake failed
Error - Could not run "cd /home/seadas/ocssw/run/data/common; git fetch -q > /dev/null"

not sure what else to try?

Caren

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

git & ocssw install

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 am America/New_York

could you type

$ which git

to make sure the path is setup to use the new git and change your branch to "--git-branch=v7.3"

carenb

git & ocssw install

by carenb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:14 pm America/New_York

thanks, here's the output.  it gets a little further into the install but fails with same error.

seadas@seadas:~$ which git
/usr/bin/git
seadas@seadas:~$ ./install_ocssw.py --install-dir=/home/seadas/ocssw --git-branch=v7.3 --aqua --seawifs

Cloning into '/home/seadas/ocssw/run/data/common'...
Receiving objects: 100% (182/182), 1.18 GiB | 83.91 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (60/60), done.
Checking out files: 100% (112/112), done.
fatal: unable to access 'https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/ocssw/common.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: Handshake failed
Error - Could not run "cd /home/seadas/ocssw/run/data/common; git fetch -q > /dev/null"

gnwiii
Answers: 2

git & ocssw install

by gnwiii » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 pm America/New_York

You are using /usr/bin/git which is probably still Ubuntu's old version.   What is echo $PATH?   The directory where the new git resides should come before
/usr/bin.   Another option is to uninstall the Ubuntu version using your package manager (if this fails because some other package depends on git, there is a way to create a "dummy" package to inform the package manager that a suitable git is available).   To make sure the new git version will work, try:

$ cd /home/seadas/ocssw/run/data/common
$ <path_to_new_git> fetch -v

carenb

git & ocssw install

by carenb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 pm America/New_York

I un-installed git and started over, and everything has installed fine now.  thanks!