adjusting band centres to match band from in situ instrument

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
dogun
Answers: 0

by dogun » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:12 pm America/New_York

I have in-situ measurments from instrument that differs in spectral bands with my satellite image band centres. Is there a way to do corrections such that my band centres in both reference measurements and modeled measurements from satellite imagery will be same?

Thanks.

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:19 pm America/New_York

The satellite retrievals we distribute (and replicated via l2gen distributed with SeaDAS) have been "corrected" to an 11nm wide square band-pass centered on the sensor nominal wavelength.
If your instrument is hyperspectral, you can convolve the in situ data with a similar 11nm square bandpass and have comparable results.  If, however, your instrument is not hyperspectral, there really isn't much you can (well, should) do.  Shifting bands without sufficient information, really just adds uncertainty to your analysis.  Just be cognizant of the bandpass differences when interpreting the comparison data.  If you want to adjust the data, you could try to replicate the approach of Melin and Sclep (2015)

Sean