l2gen calibration options

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
davouris
Answers: 0

by davouris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm America/New_York

Hello!

Can you point me to some information about the calibration option in the l2gen that gives the option of "2 - enables MODIS and MERIS cloud mask for HABs"?  What is different about this option than the standard processing?

Thank you!
dulci

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:39 pm America/New_York

This is an evaluation option, not a calibration option.  It is a cloud mask derived for a particular evaluation processing stream.  It is much more complicated than the simplistic default cloud mask.  As the help message implies, it is intended for use with a HABs (harmful algal bloom) product.

Regards,
Sean

davouris

by davouris » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:22 pm America/New_York

Hi Sean,

Thanks for that info. I am working analyzing MODIS images for Harmful Algal Blooms. The standard cloud mask tends to mask pixels that still have information that we can use in our analysis. I am not analyzing the CI index, which appears to be the code you linked to. I could use, however, the cloud mask that Stumpf uses for his product. If this cloud mask gives me that, it would be fantastic. I did not want to assume that I knew what that option was doing, and use it without verification.

If I am looking at MODIS images of Lake Erie, and want a cloud mask more suited to HABs than the default mask, then this option is a good choice?

Cheers,
Dulci

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm America/New_York

Well, it is Rick's algorithm  and he uses it over Lake Erie, so probably :grin:

davouris