OCSSW install : curl: (33) HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume.

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
obdaac_forum_user
Answers: 0

OCSSW install : curl: (33) HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume.

by obdaac_forum_user » Fri May 12, 2017 2:34 pm America/New_York

Greetings all

I know the error I placed in the subject line has been addressed in a previous message (https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/forum/oceancolor/topic_show.pl?tid=5459).  However, I fail to see how this topic would solve the issue for me.  I tried taking my office network out of the equation by trying to install ocssw using my LTE cell phone signal as a hotspot.  I get the error either in SeaDAS (v7.4) GUI install or using install_ocssw.py from command line.  I get the same message either way.

I am using OSX 10.11.6.

$bash --version gives me
GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin15)

$curl --version gives me
curl 7.52.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0) libcurl/7.52.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2k zlib/1.2.8
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp

$python --version gives me
Python 2.7.13 :: Anaconda 4.3.1 (x86_64)

$git --version gives me
git version 2.13.0

Any assistance in determining the problem and implementing a remedy would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Sat May 13, 2017 7:52 am America/New_York

obdaac_forum_user

by obdaac_forum_user » Sat May 13, 2017 8:09 am America/New_York

Thanks.  As indicated in my post, I read the topic you referenced and there is nothing I can see in there that helps.

I can't tell if I am meeting requirements for curl, bash, python, and git because the link to those requirements is broken.  However, my versions are pretty recent, so I doubt these are the issue. 

Not trying to be an ungrateful jerk but I am not seeing the solution.  Unless I am reading it wrong, the issue in this topic was a NASA server configuration problem. 

"Try again.  One of the backend servers was configured differently from the others and requests served by that machine did indeed fail to continue (oddly just for curl).

Sean"

The only other possibility I see was that there was an issue with the DFO firewall.  As a way to preclude issues with my office network, I took MY USGS network/firewall out of the mix by using my cell phone as a hotspot.  I got the same result.

I have, to the best of my knowledge, tried the recommended tests/remedies in the topic.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave

tintinabula

by tintinabula » Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am America/New_York

Dave,

First, make sure you can connect to the oceandata servers. Using cURL you can ask for the web server headers and receive a "200 OK" response which means the connection finished.

curl -kIL https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

If you can connect correctly to oceandata then please try your download again. I have enabled range requests which should allow your client to resume downloads if your connection or network is dropping the connection mid-stream.

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 am America/New_York

You report "I can't tell if I am meeting requirements for curl, bash, python, and git because the link to those requirements is broken.  However, my versions are pretty recent, so I doubt these are the issue."  If you mean http requirements link, try this http+S requirements link

If your https connection with the NASA servers is intermittent, "partial requests" allow the transfer to resume from where the connection broke; otherwise you end up restarting from zero over and over.   Partial requests, however, are problematic for firewalls, so unless you know you are stuck with an intermittent connection, focus on the reasons for the intermittent connection.   Until recently, users at our (Canadian Government) site often had problems with "no route to host" or dropped connections.   When we reported these issues IT responded that the NASA site must be down and didn't take action until we provided evidence that the site was working from other locations at the same time it was inaccessible from our own network.  I'm told this was traced to a configuration glitch that only affected connections to NASA sites, and that sorting things out was a collaboration between the NASA network operations people and the Candian network operations people.

If you are stuck with an intermittent connection, the referenced topic has some examples that show how to display the host Accept-Ranges: response by running curl -I <url>.   For an example of how and why firewalls may mess with a "partial request", see Troubleshooting TechNote.   How to support "Range" requests properly mentions some of the concerns with partial requests.

obdaac_forum_user

by obdaac_forum_user » Mon May 15, 2017 8:30 am America/New_York

Thank you to all who've spent likely inordinate time on educating me on this issue.  I really appreciate this.

Dave

obdaac_forum_user

by obdaac_forum_user » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am America/New_York

Thanks again for the help.  I am happy to say I have ocssw.py installed now!  Excellent!
Dave

obdaac_forum_user

by obdaac_forum_user » Tue May 30, 2017 2:59 pm America/New_York

Based on an issue I was having with my ocssw install (likely environment variables) I have resorted to uninstall and reinstall of SeaDAS.  I now am back to having the curl: (33) HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges issue again.

I have read a bunch of the stuff posted on this topic and quite frankly I have no idea what it means.  Any way for me to just get ocssw installed again if you enable range requests?  Tried both gui and command line.  Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks
Dave

tintinabula

by tintinabula » Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 am America/New_York

Dave,

Range header support has been enabled. You should be able to complete the install even if the connection has packet loss or drops.