OCSSW processors for Windows

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
davouris
Answers: 0

by davouris » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:01 am America/New_York

Hello!

Are the OCSSW processors supported Windows in SeaDAS 7.5.1? I tried to install them, but got a 'remote server is down, please initiate access' -type error. I thought I saw in one of the forum posts that they are now available for Windows. Please advise?

Thank you,
Dulci

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm America/New_York

Sean just answered this question, but I will elaborate a bit.  

The link Sean provides gives three possible configurations.  Which approach is best for you depends on your hardware resources and the processing you want to do.   If you need to process many files, the separate linux installation has the advantage that it avoids the (substantial) I/O overhead of VM's and WSL for the actual processing.   In native linux or MacOS the GUI is often used to develop a workflow, then command-line scripts are written for batch processing.   The OCSSW processing software does not need a high-end display system, so can be used very effectively on older hardware.  You may be able to install it under native linux on one of the many older unloved and unwanted PC's that can be found gathering dust in many large organizations.