uninstall older version?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
bbroman93
Answers: 0

uninstall older version?

by bbroman93 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:44 pm America/New_York

Should I UNinstall my older version of SeaDAS? If I do, will I lose the sessions or do those transfer over into the new update?
Bianca

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

uninstall older version?

by gnwiii » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:21 pm America/New_York

quoting: "Should I install my older version of SeaDAS?"

Did you mean ""Should I UNinstall my older version of SeaDAS?"

I assume this is a continuation of the posts regarding you SST anomaly calculation which is missing the replies to Danny's questions.  I urge you to think about the famous advice: How to report bugs effectively.    Most of this advice also applys when you are struggling to make a calculation work.  Remember that the NASA experts are also working to improve SeaDAS, so we all benefit from minimize the time it takes for them to resolve our problems.   Regular users (I'm one) often step in as time allows.  This frees up NASA's people to work on SeaDAS. 

Most users should be using the current SeaDAS version, and should not have more than one version installed, so you do need to uninstall any older versions.  Some users keep their own files (data and ".seadas" session files) in the SeaDAS and or ocssw folder, so if you have been doing that, you want to backup the files before attempting to UNinstall any SeaDAS versions that contain user files, along with the ~/.seadas folder.

Your installation seems to have some problems, so it would be best to understand those before making changes so you don't end up adding to the existing problems and so the installer and documentation can be adjusted to ensure that other users don't encounter the same issues in the future. 

Mentioned that you installed the OCSSW software at /Applications/seadas-7.5.3/ocssw.   Do you also have  /Applications/seadas-7.5.2? In a terminal, run (in a terminal) "ls -ld /Applications/seadas*" and paste the results into your reply. Each /Applications/seadas-7.5.x folder should contain a one-line text file VERSION.txt.   To see the contents of each VERSION.txt file so we can rule out a mismatch between the SeaDAS version and the folder name, please run:  "cat /Applications/seadas-7.5.N/VERSION.txt" for N=2 (if applicable) and 3, and paste the results into your reply.

You asked: "will I lose the sessions or do those transfer over into the new update?".   The SeaDAS installer should not affect files outside the install and ~/.seadas directories.   If your disk is nearly full bad things can, however, happen when the installer runs out of space.

bbroman93

uninstall older version?

by bbroman93 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 am America/New_York

Yes thank you sorry I meant "uninstall." I am somewhat new to coding, so your advice is both eyeopening and helpful. I have been poking around my computer and I'm starting to see how SeaDAS is configured on the backend. Yes, I do appear to have both seadas7.5.2 and seadas7.5.3 installed. I can tell that it is something with the configuration, and not the buttons I am pushing, because what I am doing should work (it has worked before, and it has worked for Danny and the NASA folks). I will post something more detailed later today. Thank you.

bbroman93

uninstall older version?

by bbroman93 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:17 am America/New_York

When I run (in a terminal) ls -ld /Applications/seadas* I get drwxr-xr-x  18 biancabroman  admin  576 Jun 10 10:28 /Applications/seadas-7.5.3 (I did uninstall the older versions).

When I run cat /Applications/seadas-7.5.N/VERSION.text the result is  No such file or directory

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

uninstall older version?

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 pm America/New_York

The "N" should be replaced by the minor version of seadas that you are running and the extension is "txt" not "text"

for example:

cat /Applications/seadas-7.5.3/VERSION.txt

don

gnwiii
Answers: 2

uninstall older version?

by gnwiii » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:37 pm America/New_York

"When I run cat /Applications/seadas-7.5.N/VERSION.text the result is  No such file or directory"
Sorry, that was my fault -- the typo is fixed now so others don't get same error in the future.

bbroman93

uninstall older version?

by bbroman93 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 am America/New_York

Okay that's fine, but still, when I run: cat /Applications/seadas-7.5.3/VERSION.txt I get 'No such file or directory.' I am now realizing that the error most certainly pertains to the fact that seadas l3bin function is attempting to put the new file into a directory that does not exist, but I cannot seem to troubleshoot that error. The error I continue to get is:

execution exception: java.io.IOException: l3bin failed with exit code 255.
Check log for more details.
L3BIN 5.12 (Dec 19 2018 12:40:40)
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.19) thread 0:
  #000: /Users/seadas/ocssw/opt/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.19/src/H5F.c line 433 in H5Fis_hdf5(): no file name specified
    major: Invalid arguments to routine
    minor: Out of range
Input listing file: "" not found.

There is something wrong with that path, because my $OCSSWROOT is a directory that is listed as /Applications/seadas-7.5.3/ocssw

Like I mentioned before, I have made this work before, so I know it can work again. There is not an HDF5 file anywhere on my computer. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SeaDAS (four times total yesterday), and the problem persists. I know that the l3bin function itself is working, because it runs from the command line.

OB SeaDAS - knowles
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

uninstall older version?

by OB SeaDAS - knowles » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 am America/New_York

Your error message is associated with a problem with your text file as addressed in your other parallel thread on this forum.

Regarding the installation:
If SeaDAS is installed in "/Applications/seadas-7.5.3" then the file "/Applications/seadas-7.5.3/VERSION.txt" should exist.  Are you sure SeaDAS is installed in "/Applications/seadas-7.5.3" ?

Does this file exist? "/Applications/seadas-7.5.3/config/seadas.config"

To determine where OCSSW is installed, what do you get from the command line if you type:
which l3bin

Danny