System requirements of laptop for SeaDAS 7.5

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
nasusan
Answers: 0

by nasusan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:44 am America/New_York

What are the recommended system requirements to run SeaDAS 7.5 on laptop? I am a college student and am going to buy a new laptop within few months before the next semester starts. And I want to use SeaDAS 7.5 on it for data processing, analysis, etc... So, I was searching for the system requirements to run it perfectly so that I can get laptop accordingly. Thanks.

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:04 am America/New_York

At lot depends on how you will be using SeaDAS.   The SeaDAS GUI is quite complex, so really needs a larger screen than a laptop.   I often use SeaDAS on a laptop, but for anything serious an external monitor is a big help.

nasusan

by nasusan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:23 am America/New_York

Okay, thanks for information. But, I will prefer laptop as I said will use it for college also. So, can a good video editing laptop work well like with MacBook Pro 16-inch. I have also few good windows laptops on mind like MSI GS65 Stealth and ASUS Zephyrus M found online here. They are 15-inch but performance is good. So, what do you recommend? Should I go with one of them or need to go with bigger screen 17-inch laptops? Thanks.

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:22 pm America/New_York

Video editing  capability generally means a high end graphics processor with extra cost and heat (but maybe nice for gaming).  SeaDAS is 2-D so unless you will be making movies of ocean color the current Intel HD graphics is fine -- your money will be better spent on RAM and SSD mass storage capacity.   If you plan to use the OCSSW Processing System you should know that it runs on macOS or linux.   Your college may require Windows, in which case you may want to run at least the OCSSW Processing System in a virtual machine (VM), which means more RAM and mass storage.    For many years, Apple laptops were a big favorite, but security measures in recent macOS versions have hampered use of older applications, so you could end up using a VM (more RAM and more storages) or dual boot (more storage) configuration

Hauling a large laptop around a college campus can become tedious (a backpack helps), and many lecture halls pack students together like airliner economy class. Having a decent external monitor in your dorm room could make it much easier to use SeaDAS unless you end up with roommates who work a night shift and sleep in the afternoon.

nasusan

by nasusan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:55 pm America/New_York

Thanks a lot.:smile: