Issue with ordering L2 MERIS data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
cberglund
Answers: 0

by cberglund » Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 am America/New_York

Hi,

Last night I tried using the L2 scene browser to order some L2 MERIS FRS files. I can successfully find the swaths. If I click on any of the individual files from the browser, I can download the file without a problem, but once I click on review order, I get:

"We're sorry, but none of the scenes in your search results are currently available for ordering from our archive."

It's quite possible I'm doing something wrong. I've accepted the EULA for Meris.

-Chris

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri May 08, 2020 7:37 pm America/New_York

Chris,

Indeed there seems to be an issue with that....we'll have to pop the hood and see which hamster is off his wheel.

How soon do you need the data?  We you can provide the region and time period of interest, we may be able to do an 'offline' extraction for you (as I'm not sure how long it will take the resolve the browser issue)

Just so you are aware, the MERIS L2 data have not been reprocessed since ~2012.  MERIS was not included in our last major mult-mission reprocessing. We're gearing up for another major reprocessing and will include MERIS this time around.  We are currently (ever so slowly) retrieving the updated (4th reprocessing) MERIS L1B data from ESA and will base our next reprocessing of MERIS on these. 

Sean

cberglund

by cberglund » Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 pm America/New_York

I was hoping to have the data by the end of next week.

I did see that the latest reprocessing was 2012, but I don't think that should be a problem for what I'm doing.

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 am America/New_York

Not sure that the problem can be resolved by next week.  If you provide your region of interest and the period of time you're looking for, we'll put the request in for you.

Sean

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Sat May 09, 2020 1:47 pm America/New_York

Chris,

Were you looking for full-sized L2 granules or looking to perform regional and/or product extraction?  If you provide me with the regional coordinates and the extraction information, i should be able to short-circuit the front-end side of the ordering mechanism and put an order in for you.

john

cberglund

by cberglund » Sat May 09, 2020 2:11 pm America/New_York

John,

I was looking to get level 2 files for chlorophyll with the boundaries being S: 8.51 W: 172.71 (crossing the date line), N: 80, E: -106.78. I'm looking for all the files in those areas for May-December from 2003 to 2011.

Thanks,
Chris

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Sat May 09, 2020 6:01 pm America/New_York

Chris,

I've submitted an order for you based on your criteria.  The order-id is 108030f062b1f557, and it is currently processing as of 17:50 EDT.  You should be able to see the order in the Order Manager.

The problem is that there are nearly 32,000 files in the order, and your region is fairly large.  Also i should have asked before if you wanted RR (reduced resolution) or FRS (full resolution) data.  The FRS data are larger, and when coupled with the 40-GB staging limit, a single 500-file batch exceeds that limit.  I can try eliminating the FRS data from the order, and i can probably create separate orders for each year as the 40-GB staging limit is per order.

john

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Sat May 09, 2020 6:07 pm America/New_York

Chris,

Following up, it looks like the system has already sent a staged notification for the first segment.  If you want, you can download the data for that segment, and then using the order manager, you can opt to delete the current segment and stage the next segment.  Then its rinse-lather-repeat until you get through all of the segments.  I can still eliminate the FRS data from the order to save some space.

john

cberglund

by cberglund » Sat May 09, 2020 8:45 pm America/New_York

The reduced resolution alone should be good for what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Sat May 09, 2020 9:19 pm America/New_York

Okay, i've removed the remaining FRS files from your order.  After you download the currently staged batch, you can issue a delete-and-continue action from the Order Manager, and the next segment will be staged, and hopefully it will consist of a lot more files.

john