MODIST geo files?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
alaroy
Answers: 0

MODIST geo files?

by alaroy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:34 pm America/New_York

Are geo files for MODIST available for download from oceandata? If so where should I be looking?

Or does one need to make their own from the two hourly attitude and ephemeris files?

Thank you!

-Andrew L.

Tags:

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

MODIST geo files?

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm America/New_York

Hi Andrew.

Yes, you need to create the GEO files for MODIS using the ATT/EPH data.  If you're using SeaDAS to process the data, i believe the scripts do that for you.

john

alaroy

MODIST geo files?

by alaroy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:37 pm America/New_York

John,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Just out of curiosity, why does MODISA get 5 minute attitude and ephemeris files while MODIST gets 2 hour ones?

-Andrew L.

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

MODIST geo files?

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:07 pm America/New_York

I believe it comes down to they are on different spacecraft platforms.  The Aqua data stream includes the near-real-time (NRT) ATT/EPH data that can be used to process data.  Then later the refined ATT/EPH data are delivered, and any future refined L2 processing we do uses the refined ATT/EPH.  Terra also has ATT/EPH data embedded in the data stream, and up to several years ago, those could be used to process the data NRT.  The geo-location software no longer supports using that data.  I don't know the details of why.  It might be that the accuracy of the onboard data had become bad enough to use without some post processing.

john