Ryzen laptop for SeaDAS 7.5.3

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
bellamiller
Answers: 0

by bellamiller » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:21 am America/New_York

I am willing to learn data analysis of sea and ocean colors and understand them via latest SeaDAS version i.e. 7.5.3. I don't know what type of system will it require to work perfectly. I am thinking of getting a new Ryzen powered laptop. But, without any idea about system requirements, I am not getting any idea on choosing one. Can anyone help me choose my new Ryzen laptop? I don't have any budget issues. Thanks in advance.

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 am America/New_York

There are many different uses for SeaDAS, so no one configuration fits all user requirements.   SeaDAS users need to learn how to manage hardware resources and diagnose bottlenecks.  You should start by becoming familiar with the capabilities by working through the tutorials.  As you determine what sorts of work you will be doing you may discover areas where your starting configuration falls short.   You may need a better display, larger and faster mass storage, memory, and or CPU or GPU.   For many purposes it is better to put your money into RAM, storage, and a nice display than a faster CPU or high-end GPU, but there are some types of processing that are CPU intensive and some that can benefit from a more advanced GPU.   If you need a laptop you should consider adding a large external display.

Many modern systems offer high processing speeds for short periods, but then slow down to combat overheating.   This is more of a problem for laptops.  CPU's and solid-state disks are sensitive to heat, so for some workloads a system with high peak performance won't outperform systems with lower peak performance but better thermal management.

The tutorials use small data sets so they can be run on a typical student laptop or university computer lab systems (core i5, 8 G RAM).   A solid-state "disk" will be noticeably faster than a disk disk on many simple tasks.   Such systems are often sold by big vendors (Apple, Dell) as "refurbished" with a warranty or a friend or relative who needs an upgrade.

SeaDAS is often used in conjunction with the OCSSW Processing System, which requires linux or macOS.   For tutorials you can use Windows Subsystem for Linux, but for larger jobs you may want a dedicated linux or macOS system (many users have been very happy with Apple iMac systems, due in part to the high quality screens) for work that used the SeaDAS GUI together with the OCSSW software.  

You didn't mention if you plan to use Windows or Linux.   A high-end system (16G RAM or more) can run both OS's using VM's.  You can run Windows on a linux host or linux on a Windows host.   Some users use a stable OS (not Windows, but linux or macOS) to host linux and Windows VM's.   The downside to this is that VM's may limit access to some hardware features.

bellamiller

by bellamiller » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:12 am America/New_York

I plan to use Windows one. And will Lenovo Flex 5 AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD (listed as best amd ryzen laptop here - https://windowsprime.com/best-amd-ryzen-based-laptops/) work for me? It's also listed as one of the best laptop for college students (https://windowsprime.com/best-laptops-for-college/) on the same website. So, I was wondering if it can be an ideal choice for me as I am a student as well as want to use SeaDAS. Thanks.
Last edited by bellamiller on Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:54 am America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:49 pm America/New_York

Those specs look OK for starting out, but you may find 256G SSD limiting, so try for 512G.   Student systems are often sold with Windows 10 "home", but Windows 10 Pro allows you to encrypt the SSD (for your protection and peace of mind in case the laptop is stolen) and run linux programs such as the OCSSW Processing System with the Windows Subsystem for Linux.   You should consider an external drive for backups. It is nice to have a spare power adapter so you can leave one at your desk ready to go without digging it out the laptop bag, and because power adapters often fail or get lost.  If you undertake a remote sensing project you may need increased disk capacity, a large external monitor, and a full-sized keyboard with a mouse.

bellamiller

by bellamiller » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:32 am America/New_York

Thanks @gnwiii.

milelu

Re: Ryzen laptop for SeaDAS 7.5.3

by milelu » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:05 pm America/New_York

For SeaDAS use, any modern laptop past the cheapest ones will be okay.
But the SeaDAS GUI is quite complex, so really needs a large screen.
https://pctechtest.com/best-laptops-for-college-students