Problem with importing contour lines shapefiles from seadas in arcgis

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
mahatmafernandes2
Answers: 0

by mahatmafernandes2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:12 am America/New_York

Hello everyone. Recently, I am trying to export transect and contour shapefiles from SeaDAS 7.5.3 and import them into Arcgis 10.6.1. I designed the transects in Seadas and exported your shapefile and opened it in ArcGis perfectly. But for contour lines, the shapefile does not work correctly in ArcGis. Their geographical coordinates indicate a wrong position, as can be seen in the attached images. Does anyone know what may be happening?Another question: Is there a format that I can save my rasters in Seadas and work directly in ArcGis? When I export a Geotiff in Seadas, ArcGis opens it as an image with the RGB bands.Thank you

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:27 pm America/New_York

I no longer have access to ArcGIS, so I'm not in a position to comment on the shapefile problem.   You may get better help from the ArcGIS community.  As for transferring data from SeaDAS 7 to GIS packages, NetCDF4-CF has become widely supported by GIS software and has more complete metadata support than GeoTIFF, including handling of fill values, missing data, and units.   I find people who get NetCDF4-CF files appreciate having the detailed metadata when writing up their studies (it saves on email exchanges asking for missing metadata).   BEAM dimap image files (the "data" folder has separate .img files for each band with associated .hdr files to provide (partial) metadata.

OB SeaDAS - knowles
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 0

by OB SeaDAS - knowles » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 am America/New_York

I've never used Arcgis, but the shapefile export tool should work fine in SeaDAS for contours.  You can test this by creating contours in SeaDAS, exporting the contours from within the File Info window (right click on Vector and select "Export Geometry as Shapefile").  Then open another scene file within SeaDAS in a comparable location and load in the shapefile.  I just tested this and it works correctly for my test case.

thanks
Danny