Chlorophyll concentration OCI VS Chlorophyll Concentration OCX Algorithm

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
captain_universe
Answers: 0

by captain_universe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:52 am America/New_York

Hello
I am currently doing a research in Marine protected areas (MPA), calculating Chlorophyll concentration through remote sensing.

I started using Terra Modis data but I dont know which of the 2 types I should use. OCX Algorithm OR OCI?

Also I read some papers referring that (OCI) algorithm is a hybrid between a band‐difference color index algorithm for low‐Chl waters
and the traditional band‐ratio algorithms (OCx) for higher‐Chl waters. Does that mean that OCI contains OCX alogorithm with some more information? I am a little bit confused there.

When I used the OCX Algorithm the size of the file is 5 to 6 times bigger than OCI. Does that mean OCX Algorithm contains more information about variation?

Which of the 2 types should I use in my research and what type is the newest containing more information?

Thank you.

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:48 am America/New_York

Use OCI.  As implemented in l2gen  OCI is a blend of the Hu et al., (2012) color index algorithm (which uses a band difference  approach) and the OCx (in the case of MODIS the x is 3, for 3-band ratio algorithm).  See https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/atbd/chlor_a/.  

I do not understand your statement that the OCX file size is 5 to6 times bigger than OCI, as OCI includes OCX, but switches to the band difference algorithm below concentrations 0f 0.15 mg m^-3, using a weighted average between 0.15 and 0.2 mg m^-3 and is OCX-only above 0.2 mg m^-3 . 

Regards,
Sean

captain_universe

by captain_universe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:27 am America/New_York

Thank you for your immediate response.

When I said about the file I meant that the size of OCX (netCDF) is 300 MB (megabytes) while OCI is 40-50MB (megabytes) and I thought the bigger the file the more information will be included.

I will use OCI.

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:54 am America/New_York

The size of the OCI and OCX are both float, so they will be the same size in an L2 file.  The only way the L2 files could be a different size is if more products were put on one of the files.  You can use "ncdump -h" on the command line or look at the list of bands using SeaDAS.

don