Particulate Organic Carbon (4km vs 9km)

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
captain_universe
Answers: 0

by captain_universe » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:32 am America/New_York

Hello,

I am doing a spatial temporal analysis and I am using data of Terra-MODIS (SMI Level 3 images).
When it comes to Organic Carbon (POC) Terra offers only 9km of spatial resolution while Aqua has also the 4km option.

I know that spatial resolution refers to pixel resolution but I wanted to ask if this will affect the results of the research.

Whats your opinion about which resolution I should use. Will it make any difference?

Thanks in advance

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:53 am America/New_York

You don't mention your time scales.  Time-binned data will smooth spatial variability (except where only a few cloud-free days occurred in the binning period) so higher resolution may not add much information.    Higher resolution may be useful where static features (bottom topography, coastlines) or major current systems affect the properties of interest.

You can learn a lot from careful study of small subsets of your data, maybe chosen where you have static features or current systems, starting with individual passes and proceeding to products processed at both resolutions for various binning periods.