New forums

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
b.detracey
Answers: 0

New forums

by b.detracey » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 am America/New_York

Hi,
I just wanted to say how much I miss the old forums with actual topic areas and frequently checked announcements sections. The new forum is all tags galore, and utter abdication of semantic organization for search box servitude.

Perhaps I am missing something? It seems truly awful to me.

gnwiii
Answers: 2

Re: New forums

by gnwiii » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:32 am America/New_York

I agree. Also, moderation often delays posts so long that the issue is resolved by the time a post appears, so I'm going to be much more selective with responses in the future.

bruce
Answers: 0

by bruce » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 am America/New_York

I am so glad that I am not the only one who finds the new forum an abomination. It is a serious step backwards. I do hope it was forced on the OB DAAC rather than a conscience decision.

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:37 pm America/New_York

Brendan, George, Bruce,

I completely agree that this forum does lack some of the features of the old Ocean Color Forum. We are working to see if some of those features can be implemented (or reasonable facsimiles provided), but must accept that some things will simply not be achievable. While I, too, am one to use hyperbole to get a point across, I would not go so far as to call this forum an abomination, it's just different and lacks some features we've all grown accustomed to having with the OCForum.

Transitioning the OCForum to this Earthdata Forum was a conscious decision and it was my decision. Our old reliable forum was, sadly, no longer maintained by the developer, and we did not have the staff to take up the task. It had a good run, but we needed a replacement. The Earthdata Forum was stood up to support all of the DAACs within ESDIS who choose to use it. While we were not forced to do so, it was the logical choice for us.

All "new" users of the Earthdata Forum are put in a "new users" group. This group requires moderation. Unfortunately, ALL of our existing OCForum users were put into this "new users" group (myself included, but as a moderator, I was able to quickly rectify that). We will work with the maintainers remove this restriction from our longtime users, as obviously they (you all included) do not need moderation :)

Regards,
Sean