chlorophyll a in the Southern Ocean

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
virkkula
Answers: 0

chlorophyll a in the Southern Ocean

by virkkula » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:53 am America/New_York

Hello,

I am processing atmospheric aerosol data measured in Antarctica and try to find relationships between the aerosol concentrations
and precursor emissions from the surrounding oceans.
For that I would like to get satellite-derived chlorophyll a concentration in the Southern Ocean in years 2008 - 2013.
All year round monthly averages, just south of 55°S without any more detailed geographical information.
I wish it would be in a very simple ASCII format, basically just two columns:

date chl-a

that I could use in Excel, I don't have software or competence to process any complicated binary data.
Is that possible? If it is, how can I get it?

Best regards.

Aki Virkkula
Finnish Meteorological Institute
Helsinki, Finland
email: aki.virkkula@fmi.fi

Tags:

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: chlorophyll a in the Southern Ocean

by GES DISC - jimacker » Mon May 03, 2021 3:36 pm America/New_York

The Giovanni system, https://giovanni.gsfc.nasa.gov/, provides a simple data access method for MODIS-Aqua chlorophyll data, including the period of your interest.

Are you just seeking the average chlorophyll for the Southern Ocean south of 55 S, or do you wish to see data for specific regions? Either can be done with the area-averaged time-series option, which does provide an ASCII data output capability. If you want a map with lat/lon positions along with the chlorophyll a concentration, that can be provided with an Excel spreadsheet operation. The data is in monthly time resolution, so to acquire an annual average an independent (external to Giovanni) calculation would need to be performed.

Please reply with more detail regarding your interest so that I can provide more specific guidance and assistance.