Getting the error ‘/usr/bin/python: No module named pip’

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 1

Re: Getting the error ‘/usr/bin/python: No module named pip’

by OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm America/New_York

Please let us know if you are running SeaDAS 7.5.3 or SeaDAS 8. Also, what operating system do you have?

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm America/New_York

balasahu wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:48 am America/New_York Hi Team,

Getting the error ‘/usr/bin/python: No module named pip’ while installing Seadas Processing Software Installer.
This question may be addressed more effectively by a forum that supports your OS, or if you are using a third-party python, the forum that supports your python distribution. For linux, pip is usually available as a distro package, but may be included with a basic installation. For macOS, Apple does not recommend use of the "system" python for user processing. There are many 3rd party python distributions that are suitable for user processing on macOS.

galewinston
Answers: 0

by galewinston » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:28 am America/New_York

On Mac using brew is a better option as apt-get is not available. Command:

brew install python

In case you have both python2 & python3 installed on machine

python2.7 -m ensurepip --default-pip

simply should solve the issue.

If instead you are missing pip from python 3 then simply change python2.7 to python3 in the command above.

More...http://net-informations.com/python/iq/pip.htm

jldechow
Answers: 0

by jldechow » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm America/New_York

Hi. I have had similar issues (however with request module not being loaded). Assuming you are on macOS, there is issues with the seaDAS GUI installer defaulting to your OS preferred python install (even if you change the calls in the script itself). Here is a link to installing pip through the terminal https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/. If you indeed on macOS, it will fail when you attempt to curl as it provides the link to the 3.6+ pip release. The 2.7 pip url is here https://bootstrap.pypa.io/pip/2.7/get-pip.py. You might need to sudo prior to curl, I don't think you will have to as long as you curl in your home directory.

Furthermore, if you have issues with 'request' modules not working I can help as well. The next step after installing pip would be installing request. While you are supposed to be able to do so with pip, I was unable to install for Python 2.7 (my OS default). You CAN install using easy install like so :

sudo easy_install requests

Sudo is necessary here as you are installing in /usr/..... After that, you should try running the processor installation again. I am using 7.5.3. and was able to successfully install 12/14 steps with mine failing at that point. After performing these two steps you should be able to successfully finish installation. Again, I made a lot of assumptions but I hope you are able to find some help in this.

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:28 am America/New_York

I think you need python3 for SeaDAS 8 and the OCSSW processing software. You should install a 3rd party python independent of the system python, which is used by Apple's system management tools. There are several package management systems (anaconda, fink, macports, homebrew) that can be used to install python3. If you plan to use ESA's SNAP Python snappy module, you should install python3.6, the most recent version that has been tested and widely used with snappy. Note that there are several Python snappy modules, so you may need extra steps to ensure you import the ESA snappy.