GEDI data availability Borneo

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
cfinlayson
Answers: 0

GEDI data availability Borneo

by cfinlayson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 am America/New_York

Hi,
I am looking for GEDI data across my experimental sites in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo (coordinates ~ lat +5 and lon +117).
Firstly, I have noticed that there seem to be far fewer granules available for my study site than in other areas of the tropics - is this due to the proximity of my sites to the equator or is there some pre-filtering that means only granules with reasonable quality in terms of cloud cover get added to the LP DAAC?
Secondly, I noticed that the last granule available for my study site is January 2020 - is GEDI data added to the LP DAAC in quarterly releases or something?
Thanks for your help.

Tags:

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

Re: GEDI data availability Borneo

by LP DAAC - lien » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm America/New_York

Hi,
What specific GEDI product(s) are you looking for, also which version. The version 2 data can be searched geographically in the Earthdata Search tool. Around every 1 - 3 months the NASA PI group from JPL gives the go ahead t release several Mission Weeks, they are not really on a specific schedule. I would like to find out exactly what we have for your area in Borneo.

Thanks,
Brett

cfinlayson

by cfinlayson » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:32 am America/New_York

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm looking for level 1 and 2 products (canopy height, vegetation structure and plant area indices etc- 1A, 2A, 2B), ideally version 2 but version 1 would also be useful if not available.
Does that mean there might be more data from GEDI which isn't yet on LP-DAAC?
It'd be great if you can look for what is available.
Thanks,
Catherine

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - lien » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:21 pm America/New_York

Hi Catherine,

Sorry for the delay, I was asking for input on the reasons why from various analysts. They concur that the data will be more thorough at the north and south (51.6 N/S) extremes so yes there will be less good data at the equator, but they also suspects the cloudy weather that is often over Borneo probably plays a big part in lack of data.

Also, due to the ISS current elevation, it tends to be taking more imagery over the same areas over and over versus widespread sampling. We now have data to September 2, 2020. We think we will get the go ahead to release more in about a month. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Brett

cfinlayson1

by cfinlayson1 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:13 am America/New_York

Hi Brett,

No worries.
Ok, that is what I suspected regarding the latitudes. Regarding the cloud cover issue, does that mean that the GEDI granules with poor data due to cloud cover have been filtered out and only those with low cloud cover are available on the LP DAAC? Or when there is cloud cover there just won't be any GEDI data? Or is this something I need to look for in the quality tags?

Great to hear that there will be more data available in around a month. Hopefully this will cover my region.

Many thanks,
Catherine