Java Issue on Mac

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
kelseaedwing
Answers: 0

Java Issue on Mac

by kelseaedwing » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:13 pm America/New_York

Hi,

I'm using SeaDAS 8.1 to process a SeaHawk image from L1A to L2 using the l2gen function. When I click "run" though, I get this error:

execution exception: java.io.IOException: l2gen failed to create process. null

How do I resolve this issue? Is it my Java or SeaDAS?

Thanks!

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 1

Re: Java Issue on Mac

by OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:53 am America/New_York

You need to tell us more. Can you take a screenshot of your l2gen GUI window and post it here?

To help us diagnose, can you also do "SeaDAS-OCSSW -> SeaDAS/System Info" and post the output here?

Thanks,

Bing

kelseaedwing

by kelseaedwing » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am America/New_York

Attached is the error I receive when I run the l2gen. Also attached are the l2gen GUI window and the output from the SeaDAS/system info.

I see on the output from the SeaDAS/System info that it says that the OCSSW processors are not installed. Would this be the problem? If so, how would I install them?

Thanks!
Attachments
SeaDAS/System info
SeaDAS/System info
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 11.35.32 AM.png (264.86 KiB) Not viewed yet
l2gen GUI window
l2gen GUI window
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 11.33.41 AM.png (158.94 KiB) Not viewed yet
Error
Error
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 11.30.55 AM.png (15.68 KiB) Not viewed yet

OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 pm America/New_York

Yes, you need to install Hawkeye processor for l2gen to process Hawkeye data. Follow "Install with GUI" instruction on the downloads page: https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/ and make sure you check the box beneath hawkeye. Here's the help page for install_ocssw: https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/help-8.1.0 ... OCSSW.html

After you install the Hawkeye processor, you also need to do "SeaDAS-OCSSW -> geolocate_hawkeye", before you do l2gen

kelseaedwing

by kelseaedwing » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:55 pm America/New_York

I tried to install the Hawkeye processor for l2gen and got the attached error. I was able to get to the window and choose Hawkeye, but the attached error is what I receive when I press "run".
Attachments
error
error
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 4.51.30 PM.png (75.58 KiB) Not viewed yet

OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:02 pm America/New_York

Yes, you need Python requests package v2.18.0 or later as pointed out by "Ensure that the requirements are satisfied" on the downloads page: https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/

Here is more about the python requests package: [https:]//docs.python-requests.org/en/master/

You can try

Code: Select all

python3 -m pip install requests

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:24 pm America/New_York

kelseaedwing wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:55 pm America/New_York I tried to install the Hawkeye processor for l2gen and got the attached error. I was able to get to the window and choose Hawkeye, but the attached error is what I receive when I press "run".
It is much more helpful to paste text into a message. Screen capture images are not searchable so won't help others with similar problems find your post.

If you encounter problems installing a current "requests" module with pip, you should consider using a Python "venv" under your "home" directory. This should allow you to do pip installs (even upgrading pip itself) without affecting the system python, and also insulates you from conflicts or changes with OS-supplied python modules (the current "requests" module may need newer versions of other modules such as "chardet", so pip ends up fighting with the system configuration).

kelseaedwing

by kelseaedwing » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:03 am America/New_York

I installed the python requests package v2.18.0. So now I get this error when I try the l2gen function: execution exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
null

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm America/New_York

kelseaedwing wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:03 am America/New_York I get this error when I try the l2gen function: execution exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
null
This is a generic message that usually indicates a problem running "l2gen". There may be more details in a log file, but the most direct way to discover the problem is to run l2gen with the same options in a terminal (note that you need to have the OCSSWROOT environment variable so you can run "source $OCSSWROOT/OCSSW_bash.env" (this should also work with zsh in macOS). If you aren't comfortable using the terminal command line, Apple has excellent documents <https://developer.apple.com/library/arc ... dLine.html>. If you are familiar with bash on linux, bash (or zsh) on macOS is very similar.

OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am America/New_York

You encountered "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'requests'" error when you tried to install hawkeye processor. Were you able to install Hawkeye processor?

After that, you also need to do "SeaDAS-OCSSW -> geolocate_hawkeye", before you do l2gen.