(Log file directory is not accessible to write) Install Seadas 8.1.0, WSL, Windows 10, OCSSW

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
gnwiii
Answers: 2

Re: (Log file directory is not accessible to write) Install Seadas 8.1.0, WSL, Windows 10, OCSSW

by gnwiii » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 pm America/New_York

negri wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:57 pm America/New_York 1) "Did you try to run install_ocssw in Windows?"
No, I din't.
negri wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:57 pm America/New_York 2) "You can start the SeaDAS GUI using the Windows Start Menu or from a command line. These can give different environments."
I start the SaaDAS GUI using the Windows Start Menu
negri wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:57 pm America/New_York
3) "You need to understand the purpose of environment variables and how to examine, set, or remove them."
Thank you for your tip.

4) "Do you have OCSSW environment variables set in Windows?"
No, I haven't.
the word OCSSW is neither in the Windows User Variables nor in the Windows System Variables.
negri wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:57 pm America/New_York
Please, se bellow the user environment variable (path)
C:\Users\negri\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\snap\bin;C:\Users\negri\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin;
Somehow the ocssw client is seems to be using a Windows value for the HOME environment variable. This could happen if a Windows program is used where a linux program is needed. WSL makes it easy to run Windows programs in linux, so you have to be careful to avoid mixing versions. You can search in Windows to find all the bash.exe programs, and run "bash.exe --version" for each one, and check that against what you get in WSL linux. Then do the same for "java.exe -version" (note the single dash). You can also modify the ocssw_runner script in WSL linux to have it print versions of bash and environment variable values.

Tags:

gnwiii

Re: (Log file directory is not accessible to write) Install Seadas 8.1.0, WSL, Windows 10, OCSSW

by gnwiii » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:14 pm America/New_York

negri wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:47 pm America/New_York I would be very grateful if I could have again your effort with this pending.
I retraced the steps carefully (Please, observe below STEPS).

[...]

11. Editing SeaDAS Client Configuration
(--> C:\Users\negri\.seadas8\etc)
#SNAP configuration 'seadas'
#Wed Oct 13 17:38:14 BRT 2021
seadas.ocssw.location=virtualMachine
seadas.ocssw.port=6400
seadas.ocssw.sharedDir=C:\\Users\\negri\\seadasClientServerShared
seadas.client.id=negri
seadas.ocssw.keepFilesOnServer=false
seadas.ocssw.processInputStreamPort=6402
seadas.ocssw.processErrorStreamPort=6403
seadas.ocssw.tag=V2021.2
seadas.log.dir=C:\\Users\\negri\\seadasClientServerShared
I thought I replied previously, but the internet has not been working well this week so it appears a key response was lost. I recall that you switched to WSL1, which is not a virtual machine, so you should use:

Code: Select all

seadas.ocssw.port=6400
seadas.ocssw.location=remoteServer
seadas.ocssw.keepFilesOnServer=true
seadas.ocssw.tag=V2021.2
seadas.client.id=${user.name}
seadas.ocssw.processErrorStreamPort=6403
seadas.ocssw.serverAddress=0.0.0.0
seadas.ocssw.processInputStreamPort=6402
seadas.log.dir=C\:\\Users\\negri\\seadasClientServerShared
seadas.ocssw.sharedDir=C\:\\Users\\negri\\seadasClientServerShared
Note the backslashes before the colon in the directory paths (not sure if this is required).
Sorry for the confusion.

gnwiii

by gnwiii » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:43 pm America/New_York

I also have ESA SNAP installed on my Window 10 system. For SeaDAS 8.1, saw the "log file directory is not accessible to write" message once. Using the Help menu sent me to the ESA SNAP log directory:

%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\SNAP\var\log
I found the SeaDAS 8.1 log file directory at

%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\.seadas8\var\log
which contained the "error":

WARNING [org.esa.snap]: Error: Cloud not read licenses from D:\SeaDAS-8\THIRDPARTY_LICENSES.txt
This file was present on a linux system, so I copied it into Windows and have not encountered more "errors".
OB SeaDAS - aynur wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 am America/New_York In addition, please add "seadas.log.dir" property and set the value to a directory that you have write permission.
I did try changing the log file directory using, e.g.,

seadas.log.dir=D\:\\SeaDAS_Share\\log
The messages continued to go to

%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\.seadas8\var\log
and the GUI still points to SNAP's messages.
OB SeaDAS - aynur wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 am America/New_York Note: the "seadas.log.dir" is only needed when there is an exception. Your OCSSW setup maybe successful after this change and you may not see the error message again. Please let us know how it goes.
I'm using the OCSSW software (installed in WSL1 Ubuntu 18.04) and the messages files also contain entries from the OCSSW processing. I should also note that the SeaDAS System Info claims the OCSSW Software is not installed, which may be confusing to Windows users.

None of these issues prevent me from using the OCSSW tools from the GUI, but it would be nice to have the GUI show the correct log file location (or maybe it works when ESA SNAP is not present).

Many thanks.