modes detected by Gaussian fits

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
kjfuller06
Answers: 0

modes detected by Gaussian fits

by kjfuller06 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:49 pm America/New_York

I'm interested in the waveform decomposition results in the L2A data product. Two key data layers are "num_detectedmodes" and "selected_mode", the latter being the lowest-elevation mode that is considered "non-noise". When I subtract selected_mode from num_detectedmodes, I almost always get "1", indicating there is only one valid mode in the waveform.

Is this process meant to capture all modes in the waveform or is this simply a method of identifying the ground return?

Additionally, the data dictionary states that the algorithm is set to "a1" for all shots and will be updated later. Has this changed with the release of Version 2?

Thanks,
Kate

Tags:

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: modes detected by Gaussian fits

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:51 am America/New_York

Thank you for your question. Our Subject Matter Expert sent this inquiry to the GEDI developer for further assistance.

kjfuller06
Answers: 0

by kjfuller06 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:18 pm America/New_York

I've gotten help with this through other channels so this question is now outdated. Please disregard.

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:44 pm America/New_York

We hope you received assistance from the GEDI developer. We have closed this question as requested.
Thank you,
Janice