Minimum Insolation Over A Consecutive p-day Period

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jwerstuik
Answers: 0

Minimum Insolation Over A Consecutive p-day Period

by jwerstuik » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:16 pm America/New_York

This parameter used to be given as a percentage and is defined as such:

Climatology: The minimum available insolation over a consecutive p-day period (p=1, 3, 7, 14, or 21 days) in a particular month is given as the % difference between the minimum monthly average value over the p-day period and the monthly average value for the p-day period. The p-day average is computed as a running average within each month. The monthly average for the p-day period is calculated as a multiyear average over the climatological period given in the header section of the data file.

Now the Unit is kW-hr/m^2/day.

How should we interpret this new unit? Is it the minimum cumulative amount of insolation expected over p-days? Is it the difference of cumulative insolation between minimum and average values over p-days? Or should we interpret this information differently.

Thank you,
Jeff

Tags:

ASDC - David W.
User Services
User Services

Re: Minimum Insolation Over A Consecutive p-day Period

by ASDC - David W. » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:11 pm America/New_York

Thank you for your question. A Subject Matter Expert has been notified and will answer your question shortly. Please stand by!

GIS & POWER - mbroddle37
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by GIS & POWER - mbroddle37 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 am America/New_York

Jeff,

Yes, there was a change in the consecutive p-day period parameters; we now provide the insolation value not a percentage. We have updated the parameter definitions to reflect this change.

The value is the cumulative minimum amount of insolation over the p-days period.

Since we now provide the insolation value, the percentage can be calculated following the example below:
INSOL_CONSEC_07_MIN / INSOL_CONSEC_07 = %

Thank you,

The NASA POWER Team
Prediction Of Worldwide Energy Resources (POWER)
NASA Earth Science/Applied Science Program
NASA Langley Research Center (LaRC)
POWER Documentation & FAQs

jwerstuik

by jwerstuik » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:32 am America/New_York

In the Power Access application, if I wish to get the INSOL_CONSEC_07, which option should I select from the list?

When I select "Insolation Over A Consecutive p-day Period" I get INSOL_CONSEC_07 but it is described as "Surplus Insolation Over a Consecutive p-day Period" which is defined as:

"Available Surplus Insolation Over A Consecutive p-day period in a particular month is given as the irradiance value between the maximum monthly average value over the p-day period and the monthly average value for the p-day period. The p-day average is computed as a running average within each month. The monthly average for the p-day period is calculated as a multiyear average over the climatological period given in the header section of the data file."

Is this definition correct? Why would I divide by the surplus insolation between average a max when I am looking for the percentage difference between MIN and Average insolation over p-days?

ASDC - joseph.f.koch
User Services
User Services
Answers: 2

by ASDC - joseph.f.koch » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 pm America/New_York

Hi Jeff,

The POWER team has advised that they are still evaluating your additional questions and will provide a response soon.

Thanks,
ASDC User Services