Multiple calipso level-2 5km Aerosol profile data handling: for mean annual extinction at 532nm

Please enter here to ask a question about any NASA Science related topics!
harshbardhan

Multiple calipso level-2 5km Aerosol profile data handling: for mean annual extinction at 532nm

by harshbardhan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 am America/New_York

Hi.....
I have (let say) 100 files (e.g., CAL_LID_L2_05kmAPro-Standard-V4-21.2021-01-10T21-34-11ZN.hdf). and i want to extract and plot mean extinction profile at 532nm at my region of interest. whatever code or example i am getting is related to VFM plotting or other.
I am good in python, so will be happy in scripting the same in python.
Anyone can help, with codes or materials, only for python.
See the attached pic that i wanted to get.
Attachments
vertical extinction profile
vertical extinction profile
capture123.JPG (60.92 KiB) Not viewed yet

Tags:

ASDC - ingridgs
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Multiple calipso level-2 5km Aerosol profile data handling: for mean annual extinction at 532nm

by ASDC - ingridgs » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 am America/New_York

Thank you for your question. A Subject Matter Expert has been notified and will answer your question shortly. Please stand by!

ASDC - ingridgs
User Services
User Services

Re: Multiple calipso level-2 5km Aerosol profile data handling: for mean annual extinction at 532nm

by ASDC - ingridgs » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:57 am America/New_York

Dear user,
We have received the answer from the Subject Matter Expert:
Parameters w/in the aerosol profile product (https://www-calipso.larc.nasa.gov/resou ... a_v420.php) are all that are required to generate the plots.

For a single profile, there are vertical measures of 532nm extinction that can be mapped to the lidar data altitudes. Each aerosol profile contains a lat/lon which can be used to isolate your target region.

Latitude
Geodetic latitude, in degrees, of the laser footprint. For the 5 km profile products, three values are reported: the footprint latitude for the first pulse included in the 15 shot average; the footprint latitude at the temporal midpoint (i.e., at the 8th of 15 consecutive laser shots); and the footprint latitude for the final pulse.

Longitude
Longitude, in degrees, of the laser footprint. For the 5 km profile products, three values are reported: the footprint longitude for the first pulse included in the 15 shot average; the footprint longitude at the temporal midpoint (i.e., at the 8th of 15 consecutive laser shots); and the footprint longitude for the final pulse.

Extinction_Coefficient_532
Particulate extinction coefficients reported for each profile range bin in which the appropriate particulates (i.e., clouds or aerosols) were detected; those range bins in which no particulates were detected contain fill values (-9999). Range bins where particulates were detected but the extinction retrieval failed are assigned a fill value of -333. Units are kilometers-1.

Lidar_Data_Altitude
This field defines the lidar data altitudes (583 range bins) to which Lidar Level 1 profile products are registered.

harshbardhan

by harshbardhan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:20 am America/New_York

Thanks for your reply,
is there any materials or links for the python codes to process the same data files in python?

ASDC - ingridgs
User Services
User Services

by ASDC - ingridgs » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am America/New_York

Dear user,

We don't have specific Python codes for the specific plots you want to create, however, the data is in HDF4, and should be supported to be read by a number of Python libraries.

Thank you,