How to merge the modis tile data to obtain a global distribution

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
uranus21240
Answers: 0

How to merge the modis tile data to obtain a global distribution

by uranus21240 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 pm America/New_York

The data I can download from “https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/missions-and-measurements/products/MCD15A2H” is the Tile type.
What I could do if I want to merge these 8-day data into a global distribution file and resample it into geographic with 0.5*0.5° resolution?
The APPeears could be used to merge these data, but could not be used to make a resample process?
Many thanks for any help.

Tags:

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: How to merge the modis tile data to obtain a global distribution

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:36 am America/New_York

AppEEARS won't resample to 0.05 degree data. We have forwarded your inquiry to our Subject Matter Expert for any guidance.

LP DAAC - afriesz
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 2

by LP DAAC - afriesz » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:20 am America/New_York

@uranus21240 ,

Indeed, you can use AppEEARS (https://lpdaacsvc.cr.usgs.gov/appeears/) to request a global mosaic of MCD15A2H variables at their original or native spatial resolution. The AppEEARS system does not resample data to optional spatial resolutions. This something that would need to take place after downloading results from AppEEARS using a utility like GDAL or software like QGIS or ArcGIS to name a few.

Note, if you request a global mosaic from AppEEARS you may need to break up your request up into multiple requests temporally. Also, if you plan to resample the data I'd recommend requesting the data in it's native projection (MODIS Sinusoidal) and then resample the data to the desired spatial resolution while transforming the data to the desired coordinate reference system or map projection.

uranus21240
Answers: 0

by uranus21240 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:11 pm America/New_York

Thank you for your help. Now I just do it in this way although it cost much time in downloading these big files.