Errors in building ocssw processing executables

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
paolocol
Answers: 0

Errors in building ocssw processing executables

by paolocol » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm America/New_York

I'm trying to build the SeaDAS science processing SW on ubuntu according to procedure described on SeaDAS website (https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/build_ocss ... g-the-code.
I'm using docker (therefore not a PC with native linux OS) and ubuntu 20.04. Both OS and all other packeges requested by the installation procedure are images of the relative docker container.
I correctly installed the SW (step 4) and the build of third part libraries (step 6) and the makefile creation (step 7 performed with BUILD_ALL=ON option) were successfully.

Anyway the SW build running the make (step 1 at the end of the page) gives two errors:

make[2]: *** [src/geolocate_viirs/CMakeFiles/geolocate_viirs.dir/build.make:117: src/geolocate_viirs/geolocate_viirs] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4003: src/geolocate_viirs/CMakeFiles/geolocate_viirs.dir/all] Error 2

and the executables are not correctly built.

Any suggestion to correct these errors and successfully bluild the ocssw executables?

Thanks

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

Re: Errors in building ocssw processing executables

by gnwiii » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:46 am America/New_York

You appear to be using documentation from an old version. https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/ has instructions for the current "--tag V2021.2" version. Somewhere in the documentation there is a note that sources for VIIRS support have not been released, so you need to download an archive with the binaries.

paolocol

by paolocol » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:10 pm America/New_York

Thanks for previous answer.
I'd like to understand if it's possible to rebuild ocssw processing SW by using the instructions listed on seadas website (https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/build_ocss ... g-the-code) or also any other building procedure.
As a matter of fact, our interest is to have the capability to rebuild the SW from the source code (we already have an ocssw binary version running).

Going deeper in the building errors, the first error that occurs, that aborts the SW building, is the following:

Building C object oel_hdf4/libl1/CMakeFiles/l1.dir/l1_viirs_nc.c.o
/home/colapao/seadas-7.5.3/ocssw/ocssw_src/oel_hdf4/libl1/l1_viirs_nc.c:11:10: fatal error: Calibrate_Viirs_Connector.h: No such file or directory
11 | #include <Calibrate_Viirs_Connector.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [oel_hdf4/libl1/CMakeFiles/l1.dir/build.make:700: oel_hdf4/libl1/CMakeFiles/l1.dir/l1_viirs_nc.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2122: oel_hdf4/libl1/CMakeFiles/l1.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:141: all] Error 2

It seems that the makefile doesn't find the file "Calibrate_Viirs_Connector.h" in the right place.
The file is present in the folder .\seadas-7.5.3\ocssw\ocssw_src\include\ViirsCal, but the build procedure maybe search it in other places.
How can we let the make procedure able to find such include file?
Should we add some more environment variables, maybe?
If so, which env variables and where?

I've also attached the docker file (to be renamed removing the fake extension) we use to create the O.S. defined in the building procedure (https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/build_ocss ... g-the-code) in case someone wish to replicate the procedure we follow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:34 pm America/New_York

I would suggest not building the VIIRS part for now. I have to make a few sets of libraries to export for that to work. Try this:

Code: Select all

cd /home/colapao/seadas-7.5.3/ocssw/ocssw_src/
rm -rf build
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DBUILD_VIIRS_L1=OFF
make -j 20 install
Let me know how that works.

don

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:41 pm America/New_York

Actually I had to fix a few things in the CMakeLists.txt file. You will need to use "--tag T2021.23". You will not be able to build the VIIRS code so do not turn on the BUILD_ALL or BUILD_VIIRS_L1 flag for cmake. The process becomes:

Code: Select all

export OCSSWROOT=/home/colapao/seadas-7.5.3/ocssw
install_ocssw -i $OCSSWROOT --tag T2021.23 --src --root
source $OCSSWROOT/OCSSW_bash.env
cd /home/colapao/seadas-7.5.3/ocssw/ocssw_src/
rm -rf build
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make -j 20 install
This should work. I just built tag T2021.23 on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine using gcc-9

don

paolocol

by paolocol » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:36 am America/New_York

Thanks Don,
your last procedure seems to work fine

Thanks again
Paolo