Future LST imagery recording using VIIRS

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
dibotje
Answers: 0

Future LST imagery recording using VIIRS

by dibotje » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:42 pm America/New_York

I understand Terra and Aqua (carrying the MODIS sensor) are coming to the end of their operational life (2025-26). Where can I get details on plans going forward for replacements re the current S-NPP/NOAA-20 satellites (carrying the newer VIIRS instrumentation) or the new generation of planned JPSS satellites in regards future Land Surface Temperature (LST) imagery recording?

Tags:

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Future LST imagery recording using VIIRS

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:21 pm America/New_York

Greetings,
We forwarded your inquiry to our User Services for guidance. Brett, said he had sent you a response through the LPDAAC@usgs.gov email.
As far as the decommissioning of the MODIS sensor goes I don't know any more then you do on that. I use the LDOPE site most of the time for updates: https://landweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ ... /index.cgi

dibotje
Answers: 0

Re: Future LST imagery recording using VIIRS

by dibotje » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:04 pm America/New_York

Thanks,

Yes, the LP DAAC personnel have been very helpful. I thought others might be interested in what is happening with MODIS in future. Looks like 2025/2006 for decommissioning Terra and Aqua, however the specifics regarding replacement with VIIRS in the new JPSS satellites seems to be a little opaque at the moment. Appreciated for the link to the LDOPE site; I'll keep an eye on it.