CERES data presentation on SSE models

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
EarthdataForumContributor
Answers: 3

Re: CERES data presentation on SSE models

by EarthdataForumContributor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 pm America/New_York

Ray Hoisington

Yes, I am having trouble locating the following information:
  1. TRW DRL 87, D2-889B; Instrument Operations Manual, (Rev. B), January 1996.
  2. TRW DRL 64, 55067.300.008E; In-flight Measurement Analysis (Rev. E), March 1997.
  3. Hoffman, Lawrence H.; Weaver, William L.; and Kibler, James F., 1987 "Calculation and Accuracy of ERBE Scanner Measurement Locations," NASA TP-2670.
  4. Smith, G.L.; Numerical Filtering of Spurious Transients in a Satellite Scanning Radiometer (Draft), September 1997.
  5. Smith, G. L., 1994, "Effects of time response on the point spread function of a scanning radiometer," Appl. Opt., Vol. 33, No. 30, 7031-7037.
  6. Priestley et al., "Postlaunch Radiometric Validation of the Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System (CERES) Proto-Flight Model on the Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) Spacecraft through 1999", J. Appl. Meteor., 39 (12), 2249-2258, December 2000.
  7. One of the documents posted on the forum website, and my only reference is: Ch3.pdf, Kory J. Priestley, Chapter 3 CERES Scanning Thermistor Bolometer Radiometer, - has many figures that did not accompany the document - is it possible to obtain Chapter 3 complete?
  8. R. S. Wilson, R. B. Lee III, B. R. Barkstrom, H. Bitting, J. Paden, D. K. Pandey, K. J. Priestley, G.L. Smith, S. Thomas, K. L. Thornhill, "On-Orbit solar calibrations using TRMM Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System (CERES) in-flight calibration system", Optical Sci., Eng. & Instrum., Proc. SPIE, v. 3439, July, 1998.
Thanks very much!

May 29, 2016

Tags:

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services
Answers: 8

by asdc_user_services » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 pm America/New_York

For your convenience, you can use this form to contact the ASDC User Service's Team.

Apr 26, 2016

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services

by asdc_user_services » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm America/New_York

We have had several "conversations" via both individual emails and this forum. We want you to know that we are still working on finding some free copies of those reports for you.

How are things going?

Do you have any new questions?

Jun 16, 2016

by EarthdataForumContributor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 pm America/New_York

Ray Hoisington

Thanks very much for all your help!

I do have a question, well, 2 questions.

In the BDS scan HDF file, (I'm using HDFView to open the file) I scroll down to "Total Detector Output", and open this file. I then export the file to a text file, and then open the text file with Excel97. Since Excel97 only supports 256 columns, I am currently only using 256 of the 660 columns of the file - I will do a work-around eventually and open 3 spreadsheets to cover all the 660 columns, but for the time being my questions are:

(1) What do the values given in the "Total Detector Output" stand for?

(2) Is there a published formula that carries the current calibration status that when applied to these numbers will give a value in some form of energy?

I have collected single 'day' (the 15th of each month) and each month (from 2000-2005, and 2010-2015), and I'm trying to compare the 2 five year periods. I have averaged the data so far, from only 256 columns, and performed a rudimentary comparison, but I still don't know just what the numbers mean - the numbers vary between 700 and 740 (typically). But 700 what?

I suspicion Walter Miller knows this answer - I read the BDS material, and cannot find what I'm looking for.

Also, I have found all of the documents - except for the TRW documents. Walter mentioned that TRW was bought out by Northrup - I sent an email to their Space Science Division for CERES, but after 3 weeks have had no response. I was hoping to read more about the Radiometer, so I don't ask as many (dumb) questions!

The data from CERES is extremely important. At this time in history we need to fully understand Earth's Energy Balance.

My thanks to all who have helped me so far, and those who may help me in the future!

Jun 23, 2016

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services

by asdc_user_services » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 pm America/New_York

Walter Miller

The Total Detector Output is the voltage measured from the total channel bolometer being part of a Wheatstone bridge through a 12-bit Analog to Digital Converter. We normally refer to it as the counts and does not have units until corrections are applied.

The BDS Collection Guide provides some more detail on what each variables is, but probably not at the detail you need.

The Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document describes the conversion of counts to radiances.
The variable CERES TOT Filtered Radiance Upwards is the energy value we calculate. The unit is Watt per meter squared per steradian. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it has not been adjusted to count for a nonuniform spectral response.

It sounds like you found the figures you were requested. If not, they are located at Figures. Kory's entire Dissertation may also help answer some of your questions about the data.

The actual published reference that you included as a draft is Smith, G. Louis; Pandey, D. K.; Lee, Robert B.; Barkstrom, Bruce R.; Priestley, Kory J. (2002) Numerical Filtering of Spurious Transients in a Satellite Scanning Radiometer: Application to CERES Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 19(2), 172-182 . http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(200 ... I>2.0.CO;2

Not all CERES footprints are Earth viewing, page 48 of the Collection Guide gives a graphics showing this. It may help reduce the number of columns you need.

Jun 27, 2016

by EarthdataForumContributor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:12 pm America/New_York

Ray Hoisington

Hello Walter Miller!

I thank you very much for your help! Exactly right about the BDS Collection Guide - not enough detail, and I had glanced at the Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document - I'll need help from my daughter on that one. Thankfully I am familiar with the energy calculations from my metrology days - and help from Richard at International Light (in the late 90's)
I managed to obtain a copy of Kory's Dissertation - impressive work.
I hope anyone who is trying to understand CERES is following this post - You, and everyone I've had contact with - have been invaluable!
Until the next Question - Thanks again!

Jul 06, 2016

by EarthdataForumContributor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:14 pm America/New_York

Ray Hoisington

Hello Walter!

I'm having difficulty ordering the following DATA:
From Years 2000-2003 CER_SRBAVG_TERRA-FM1-MODIS_EDITION2C
From Years 2000-2003 CER_SRBAVG_TERRA-FM2-MODIS_EDITION2C
From Years 2002-2010 CER_SRBAVG_TERRA-FM1-MODIS_EDITION2D
From Years 2002-2010 CER_SRBAVG_TERRA-FM2-MODIS_EDITION2D
I submitted an order for this on the website - but received no conformation.
Thanks for your help!

Aug 08, 2016

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services

by asdc_user_services » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm America/New_York

Emily Northup

Hi Ray,

The products you have listed here are all legacy products. Until we hear from the CERES science team (Walter Miller, Pamela Mlynczak) the ASDC cannot publicly distribute them. However, we encourage you to visit: https://asdc.larc.nasa.gov/project/CERES in the event that any of these products meet your needs.

Aug 09, 2016

by EarthdataForumContributor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm America/New_York

Ray Hoisington

I did address my request to Walter Miller.
Since I don't know who you are - maybe you would like to introduce yourself.
To recpriocate, I have been informed that all data at NASA ASDC is publicly available.
And, if you consider legacy - I too, fit in that category. Lest we not forget the past, nor our elders.

Aug 10, 2016

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services

by asdc_user_services » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 pm America/New_York

Emily Northup

Hi Ray,

I am a member of the user services team at the ASDC. Not all of our data is available if the science team specifically requests that it not be made public (for various reasons). So until we hear back from the science team we are not allowed to release this data. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Emily

Aug 11, 2016