Albedo data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
EarthdataForumContributor
Answers: 3

Albedo data

by EarthdataForumContributor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:38 pm America/New_York

I have a location in:
[cid:image001.png@01D611BA.D2E105C0]

When I look for the albedo data the result is:
[cid:image005.jpg@01D611BB.A451F740]

Is a crop and grassy area, but it seems very low...even asphalt normally is higher...
In feb. and march is better but not too much if we take into account these months there is snow between 15- 18 cm.

Could you confirm me if these albedo data are correct or I am doing something wrong?

Tags:

ASDC - mcook
User Services
User Services
Answers: 0

Re: Albedo data

by ASDC - mcook » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:49 pm America/New_York

We received the following response from the POWER Team.

Thank you for your interest in our data products. The location that you specified is near to the coast of the Baltic Sea. The albedos are derived from 100x100 km grid boxes, so the albedo in this grid box mostly corresponds to Baltic Sea albedo. If you pick a point slightly less than 54 deg N (while keeping the same longitude), you’ll receive an estimate of the albedo that I think would better represent your region. I went ahead and did that and the link is below. I presume that the location is at least partly snow covered in the winter explaining the > 20% albedo then. Notice the decrease until April then increase in May and June corresponding to greening and followed by a slow decrease until October. Perhaps, this agrees better with your intuition?
https://socialconcerns.nd.edu/file/scre ... 3927-pmpng