CERES EBAF Ed.4.0 Data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
EarthdataForumContributor
Answers: 3

CERES EBAF Ed.4.0 Data

by EarthdataForumContributor » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am America/New_York

I am using ERA5 and CERES EBAF Ed 4.0 datasets to extract trends about the Earth Imbalance. I am also comparing different datasets. It appears to be clear that there is a correlation between CERES EBAF 4.0 datasets and ERA5, plotting the monthly averaged reanalysis top net thermal radiation at top-of-atmosphere from 2001. Therefore, I was wondering if a correction was applied to the datasets to be as close as it is, in order to remove noises or other aspects. Moreover, I could not find the local time related to the CERES EBAF Ed4.0 datasets, may I know where to find it ?
Thank you very much in advance

Tags:

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services
Answers: 8

Re: CERES EBAF Ed.4.o Data

by asdc_user_services » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:27 am America/New_York

This response was provided by the SME Walt Miller of the CERES Science Team

EBAF is a monthly average product. Hourly data for the full month is averaged. Obviously, only daylight hours are included for shortwave flux and cloud properties items. The CERES data in the EBAF (after July 2002) are at 10:30 and 1:30 Local Equatorial Crossing Time. Away from the Equator these times are different. Geostationary imagery data is used to fill in hours without actual CERES data. If there are any hours still without information, the values are interpolated from surrounding times. Data for an hour box is moved to the half-hour point. Our month is defined by UTC time even though data outside the month is brought in to help with interpolation. Cloud properties are daytime only due to the accuracy we are able to obtain,

To compare with model or assimilation data, all hours in the month should be averaged except shortwave where only those values with solar zenith angles less than 90 for the grid box.

The Data Quality Summary for the product provides more information.
https://ceres.larc.nasa.gov/documents/D ... .1_DQS.pdf

These are the references for the product.
Loeb, N. G., D. R. Doelling, H. Wang, W. Su, C. Nguyen, J. G. Corbett, L. Liang, C. Mitrescu, F. G. Rose, and S. Kato, 2018: Clouds and the Earth’s Radiant Energy System (CERES) Energy Balanced and Filled (EBAF) Top-of-Atmosphere (TOA) Edition-4.0 Data Product. J. Climate, 31, 895-918, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0208.1.

Kato, S., F. G. Rose, D. A. Rutan, T. E. Thorsen, N. G. Loeb, D. R. Doelling, X. Huang, W. L. Smith, W. Su, and S.-H. Ham, 2018: Surface irradiances of Edition 4.0 Clouds and the Earth’s Radiant Energy System (CERES) Energy Balanced and Filled (EBAF) data product, J. Climate, 31, 4501-4527, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0523.1