Availability of CALIPSO Aerosol Data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
EarthdataForumContributor
Answers: 3

Availability of CALIPSO Aerosol Data

by EarthdataForumContributor » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:59 am America/New_York

I am an Atmospheric Scientist from India. I would like to use CALIPSO aerosol data for my current reaserach. As of now, level 3 CALIPSO data of aerosol profiles are seen to be avialble only up to March, 2020, through ASDC. It would be great if you could let me know when will the data for the month of April 2020 be available. Reply to this query would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

ASDC - mcook
User Services
User Services
Answers: 0

Re: Availability of CALIPSO Aerosol Data

by ASDC - mcook » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:02 pm America/New_York

The answer was provided by Brian Getzewich of the CALIPSO Science Team

The V4.10 Lidar Level 1 and V4.20 Lidar Level 2 typically takes 8-10 weeks from downlink, and are released in monthly blocks.
These products rely on a MERRA-2 data product that is delivered on a monthly basis. And given the multi-orbit averaging to derive the calibration we also require the adjoining month to account for the first few days of that month.
CALIPSO's monthly Level 3 Aerosol products are typically generated after the Level 2 dataset is processed and released.
With that said that only applies to the Tropospheric and Stratopsheric aerosol products. We’ve not produced and released cloud products since the end of 2016 due to laser energy issues.