Weather data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
mursel
Answers: 0

Weather data

by mursel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:38 am America/New_York

Hi there,

I'm working on my seminar about FWI (fire weather index) components calculation and fire prediction using logistic regression on territory of my country Bosnia&Herzegovina and I'm trying to collect data for these parameters, but on daily temporal resolution: air temperature (2m), relative humidity (2m), precipitation in last 24h and wind speed (10m).

I got air temperature - max from M2SDNXSLV. 10-m eastward and northward winds from M2TMNXSLV so I can calculate wind speed, but they are based on monthly temp. resolution. Relative humidity and precipitation is also based on monthly temp. resolution.

Are there known data collections used for these weather parameters?

Thanks in advance,

Mursel

Tags:

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: Weather data

by GES DISC - jimacker » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:45 pm America/New_York

Hello,

Regarding your parameters:

air temperature (2m) -- use AIRS daily data, you can specify the pressure level(s) or use the "Air temperature at surface" data product;

relative humidity (2m) -- use AIRS daily data, you can specify the pressure level(s);

precipitation in last 24h -- use IMERG daily Late Run or Final Run daily accumulated precipitation;

wind speed (10m) -- MERRA-2 has hourly wind speed at 10m, which you could integrate, or GLDAS Noah model has 3-hourly near surface wind speed which you could integrate.

I hope these data variables will be helpful.

mursel

by mursel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:27 am America/New_York

Hi jimacker,

Thanks a lot. It's excatly what I need.

BR,

Mursel

mbosilov

by mbosilov » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:06 am America/New_York

Hi, and thanks for your interest in MERRA-2

If you are not familiar with reanalyses methodology, please refer to our documentation and papers here: https://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/reanalysis/MERRA-2/docs/

In particular, while observations are used to guide the system, the reason we have data every where and when is because the observations are assimilated into a model. While observations have their uncertainties, so do models.

While it seems that you have found some daily and monthly files, what you need to get all data you want in a daily form is the GES Subsetter, which can process the hourly data to daily files. If you haven't found the subsetter with the daily average options, then please contact GES DISC help, and they can provide pointers and examples on how to do that.

Mike

mursel

by mursel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 am America/New_York

Hi Mike,

Perhaps this is what you reffering to (GES DISC Subsetter): https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/information/ ... 0Regridder and this:
https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/information/ ... ean%20Data ?

Air temperature at surface (AIRS3STD 006), relative humidity at surface (AIRS3STD 006) and daily accumulated precipitation - Late run (GPM_3IMERGDL_06) are based on daily temporal resolution. Only wind speed (GLDAS_NOAH025_3H_2_1) is based on 3-hourly temp. resolution, so it needs to be converted to daily.

Yes, I'm totally new to reanalysis methodology and I'm trying to cope with all included terminology :)

Anyway... thanks for pointing out about hourly-to-daily conversion options.

Br,

Mursel
Last edited by mursel on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:56 am America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.