Download only one channel of satellite dataset

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
simonrp84
Answers: 0

Download only one channel of satellite dataset

by simonrp84 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:43 am America/New_York

Hello,
I am in need of the full mission archive of VIIRS I-band data, but I only need one of the five channels. Is there a way to subset the data so that I only order / download that one channel rather than the full dataset?
My thinking was that this would be possible via opendap, but I can't find how to do it.
Something like https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ ... 953.nc?I05

Where the "?I05" specifies I only want that band.

Do you have any pointers on how to do this?
Thanks,
Simon
Last edited by LAADS_UserServices_M on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Download only one channel of satellite dataset

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:17 pm America/New_York

Dear Simon:
Ordering single layer/SDS or Parameter subsetting is part of LAADS post processing service. Currently, post processing is not available for VIIRS data products ( including VJ102IMG) which are in NetCDF4 file format. We are working on on a solution and hoping to have this service in the future.
Regards,
LAADS Users Services
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.

simonrp84
Answers: 0

by simonrp84 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 am America/New_York

Thanks for the reply. It's a shame that the data isn't yet subsettable, but I look forward to that in the future.

For now, do you have any suggestions for the most efficient way to download the full mission archive of VIIRS I-band data? Currently I'm just running multiple wget sessions, so am downloading 5 files simultaneously. But that may not be the best, so I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you have for that!

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:10 am America/New_York

You can use LAADS data download scripts available at https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ ... -services/. You may explore "Full Year Download" or "LWS Classic" an in house API.
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.