Request for Soil Moisture and Precipitation data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
crobb004
Answers: 0

Request for Soil Moisture and Precipitation data

by crobb004 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:35 am America/New_York

Hello,

My name is Christina Robbins and I am working on a storymap that will review soaking events that can be visualized in the tree rings of Longleaf pine species and compare it to the geospatial data that is available. The parameters I am currently focusing on is soil moisture and precipitation levels. I would like to access data that can be used in Arc GIS and if possible, have the ability to use the multidimensional analysis tool to aggregate the information as well.

I will focus on the early 1990s as the tree rings are not fully recognizable in the most recent years. This information will help me understand how accurately I am measuring the tree rings and help me produce a model of what the region will likely experience in the future.

Tags:

ASDC - rkey
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Request for Soil Moisture and Precipitation data

by ASDC - rkey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:02 pm America/New_York

Hello Christina,
Thanks for your interest in soil moisture and precipitation data for visualization in ArcGIS. We're reaching out to have our experts respond with the best options for your needs. Please check back.
Best Regards

ASDC - rkey
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

by ASDC - rkey » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:49 pm America/New_York

Hi Christina,

A few options were presented.

GPM (GES DISC) and SMAP (PO DAAC) are suggested, but I don't have detailed information at this time. You can also find and access analysis-ready data layers within Esri's Living Atlas of the World, which provides a collection of authoritative, ready-to-use maps, apps., and data layers (e.g. precipitation/soil moisture). These data layers can also be pulled directly into their own ArcGIS software. Some of the content items listed within the Living Atlas come from NASA sources (e.g. GLDAS from GES DISC, et. al). The POWER Project also provides ArcGIS Image Services, for example, the POWER 801 Climatology Image Service contains a precipitation layer ("prectotcorr") that you may find useful.

Hope you find this information helpful!

cynthia.hall
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by cynthia.hall » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am America/New_York

Hi Christina, we also have a NASA GIS Data Pathfinder, which provides information on the variety of geospatial services and tools (many of which were already mentioned) available from the various DAACs, to access NASA Earth science data. For example, the NASA Global Imagery Browse Services (GIBS) provides a web map service which can be added in QGIS or ArcGIS. They have some image layers for precipitation and soil moisture. And the Oak Ridge National Laboratory DAAC provides a web coverage service which provides Daymet monthly total precipitation data. The pathfinder can be accessed at https://earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/pathfi ... pathfinder. Hope this helps!

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

by GES DISC - jimacker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:15 pm America/New_York

Hello,

The NASA GES DISC has several datasets that may be useful to you.

The resources to examine are the National Climate Assessment - Land Data Assimilation System (NCA-LDAS) and Global (GLDAS) datasets. What I am going to do is provide you with search links in the Giovanni system, which will allow you to examine the data that is available. A higher resolution data set, NLDAS, for North America, is currently being reprocessed.

I am providing search links in our Giovanni system for the data variables you indicated. You can use Giovanni to determine the datasets and variables that may work for you. You can create visualizations with Giovanni that can be downloaded as GeoTIFF files, which should be compatible with ArcGIS.

I cannot filter the search by Begin Date and End Date, so note that only some of the datasets extend back to the 1990s. One dataset extends back to 1948.

https://giovanni.gsfc.nasa.gov/giovanni ... 20Model%3B

GIS & POWER - mbroddle37
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by GIS & POWER - mbroddle37 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:20 pm America/New_York

Hello Christina! My name is Madison and I am a GIS Analyst at the Atmospheric Science Data Center. Part of my role has entailed putting together ArcGIS StoryMaps that showcase ASDC data related to our key focus areas of radiation, tropospheric chemistry, clouds, and atmospheric composition. Since I have experience in gathering GIS-ready data from a variety of sources, including from the ASDC, to use in ArcGIS, I would love to learn more about your project to see how we can help out. Would you be open to sharing with me what you’ve been working on so I can get a better handle on any issues you might be experiencing or additional dataset help you might need?