HLS (v1.4) data availability

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
maawoo
Answers: 0

HLS (v1.4) data availability

by maawoo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 am America/New_York

Dear all,

I've considered using HLS data for a research project related to time series analysis of forest areas in central Germany. The AOI is the state of Thuringia, which includes the tile '32UPB' and multiple surrounding tiles (9 in total).
Using the Python package nasa_hls* I was able to check how many datasets are available per year for my entire AOI. The result is 249 for 2018, 506 for 2020 and 0 datasets for all other years. A bit disappointing and not really the best foundation to do time series analysis with. I've also checked some other tiles in Europe and they all showed a continuous dataset.
I was not able to find any information about the reason for this data gap in central Germany and if the missing data will be available any time soon. I hope that someone here can enlighten me :)

Thanks and regards from Germany,
Marco

* https://github.com/benmack/nasa_hls

Tags:

ASDC - rkey
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: HLS (v1.4) data availability

by ASDC - rkey » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 pm America/New_York

Greetings Marco,
Thank you for your question. A Subject Matter Expert was notified to provide an answer for your question. Please excuse any delay as Thanksgiving breaks have just begun.
Best Regards!!!

maawoo

by maawoo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:15 pm America/New_York

Great, thank you!
And I'm happy to wait, as this isn't super urgent.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving break! :)

maawoo

by maawoo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 am America/New_York

Hello!
I have a meeting regarding my project on Friday and wanted to ask if it's possible to receive an answer about this until then?

Regards,
Marco

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - lien » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:27 pm America/New_York

Hi Marco,

This is Brett from LP DAAC. I believe the HLS 1.4 is a Goddard product. Here at LP DAAC we have HLS 1.5, however I think it is a little different: https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/hlss30v015/
It is provisional Surface Reflectance data. Please let me know if we can help you with the 1.5.

Thanks,
Brett

maawoo

by maawoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:50 am America/New_York

Hi Brett,

okay interesting that the responsibility (and knowledge?) for a data product changes from one facility to another between versions. I'm just going to send an E-Mail to the Webmaster of https://hls.gsfc.nasa.gov/ then.

Thanks for your effort though,
Marco

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

by GES DISC - jimacker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:53 am America/New_York

Yes, that is the best course of action. HLS Version 1.4 is not archived at the Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC).