Aerosol-Atmosphere

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
sushovan
Answers: 0

Aerosol-Atmosphere

by sushovan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:17 am America/New_York

Hi,
Please clarify the data definition of "Sedimentation" in say for example: "Black Carbon Sedimentation Bin 001 " data in MERRA-2 Data. what is the relationship between the "Black Carbon Dry Deposition Bin 001", "Black Carbon Wet Deposition Bin 001 " and "Black Carbon Convective Scavenging Bin 001". I know Bin 001 of Black carbon is hydrophobic, so the value of Black Carbon Convective Scavenging Bin 001 is zero.
But my doubt is there any relation of definition of
Sedimentation =(Dry-Wet-Scavenging)? Or suggest me if anything is there.

Thanks in advance!!.

Tags:

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: Aerosol-Atmosphere

by GES DISC - jimacker » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:18 pm America/New_York

Hello,

This answer is courtesy of MERRA-2 scientists who specialize in the aerosol components of the model.

"The 'sedimentation' variables are the mass loss by gravitational settling to surface in units kg/m2/s. The loss due to dry removal processes is the sum of the 'sedimentation' and 'dry deposition' variables. These fluxes are calculated for each aerosol bin (i.e., MERRA2 File Spec, page 25, tavg1_2d_adg_Nx (M2T1NXADG): Aerosol Diagnostics (extended), BCDP001, BCDP002, BCSD001, BCSD002). Mass loss by wet removal processes is provided in the form of large scale (i.e., BCWT001, BCWT002) and convective scale (BCSV001, BCSV002) fluxes in units kg/m2/s."

Please reply if additional information is required.