the end of an incredible era

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
genecarlfeldman
Answers: 0

the end of an incredible era

by genecarlfeldman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 am America/New_York

Folks,
I am very sorry to have to report the news that after nearly two months of intensive research and numerous attempts at communication with the spacecraft, GeoEye has determined that the SeaWiFS mission is no longer recoverable. While this is certainly not the outcome that we were all hoping for, the international scientific community certainly could not have asked for a more tenacious little spacecraft and instrument that has served us so well for the past 13+ years. Not bad for a spacecraft and mission that so many people thought would never get off the ground let alone make it through the projected 5 year mission life. We will be putting together a little feature this week on the OceanColor website about this wonderful little instrument but I wanted to pass along a couple of photographs that gave us our last look at the spacecraft and instrument as it was being prepared for launch on a hot summer day back in August 1997. Thanks to everyone for all their incredible support over the years and I have no doubt that this data set will continue to provide new discoveries and insights into the workings of this incredible planet that we call home.
With my very best regards,
gene
seawifs_closeout_2.jpeg
seawifs_closeout_2.jpeg (71.24 KiB) Not viewed yet
seawifs_closeout_1.jpeg
seawifs_closeout_1.jpeg (78.02 KiB) Not viewed yet

Tags: