Correcting offset in HiCO geolocation

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
obdaac_forum_user
Answers: 0

by obdaac_forum_user » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:02 am America/New_York

Hi, an earlier post in this forum explained the reason for some HiCO images not being geolocated quite correctly. I noticed when viewing a cloud free image in SeaDAS 7.0.2 that when I enabled the coastal mask, that it did not line up correctly with the image (in this case quite a few km off). But after reading the help and running quite a few internet searches I am not sure of the best workflow for correcting this.Is SeaDAS the best tool? How do I actually update the geocoding - I presume I can do it with ground control points and a GIS/Google Earth style program to get accurate feature coordinates, but I'm not sure how. Is there a tutorial? Is it possible to 'move' the image so that it lines up with the coastal mask?Any tips appreciated.James

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 pm America/New_York

James,
There is a ground control point feature. With this you can "attach" a geocoding based on the GCPs you define (need at least three know points, the more the better).  I've discovered that the landmask/coastline feature isn't recognizing this attached geocoding - we'll look into that - butyou can reproject with this geocoding and get the data to line up better with the real geography.Our next major push is for documentation/tutorials, so in the hopefully-not-to-distant-future there will be a nice tutorialon this and other really useful features :grin:Sean