Landsat-8-9 collection 2 L1 data processing in SeaDAS

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jstum
Answers: 0

Landsat-8-9 collection 2 L1 data processing in SeaDAS

by jstum » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:33 am America/New_York

Hello,

Do you know when SeaDAS wille be able to process Landsat Collection 2 products ?

Thanks !

Jacques

Tags:

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Landsat-8-9 collection 2 L1 data processing in SeaDAS

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:20 am America/New_York

Hello,

Please review the replies in this post for the answer to your question: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2616&sid=91512933db ... abad404d00

lukecarberry

by lukecarberry » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:32 pm America/New_York

Hi All,

Just following up on this and the thread linked. The higher quality of the Collection 2 products makes them a much more appealing to myself and others than continuing to process Collection 1 data - so, if there is any way for this to work, I am sure we would not mind the difficulty.

My question is: Is there any way to circumvent the formatting required by SeaDAS for the OLI in order to process Collection 2 data?

As in, if we simply replace the band B*.TIF files from a Collection 1 image with collection 2 band files, would the processing work? Is it just a problem with the formatting of the MTL.txt files? Could a Collection 2 MTL.txt could be swapped out for a Collection 1 MTL.txt for that same image? Is there any inherent difference in either the band files or the relationship between the band files and the metadata files between Collection 1 and Collection 2? My understanding of how this all works is that the reprocessing that went into Collection 2 is already contained within the band files, so there should be some way to putting these files into the previous processing stream of l2gen for Collection 1. Is this possible?

If not, is there any other way to work within the current formatting of SeaDAS to process these files before support for Collection 2 is added?

Thank you all for all of your help and support.

Best,
Luke Carberry

OB WebDev - norman
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB WebDev - norman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:01 pm America/New_York

I understand that ocean color missions take precedence over Landsat, but I would also like to express my interest in Landsat-Collection-2 processing capabilities with l2gen. :-)

OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 1

by OB SeaDAS - xuanyang02 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:56 am America/New_York

R2022.3 can do l2gen on Landsat 8 (OLI) Collection 2 products now