How to obttain the area of each pixel for the OMPS SO2 product.

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
hhzcsky
Answers: 0

How to obttain the area of each pixel for the OMPS SO2 product.

by hhzcsky » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:18 am America/New_York

Hello, I am studing the satellite SO2 product, I am having some problems.
The nominal spatial resolution of OMPS-NM is 50 km × 50 km at nadir in the nominal observation mode.But at the edge of the swath, the pixel area will increase. and I tested it by 50 km × 50 km and compared it with the data on this website(https://so2.gsfc.nasa.gov/pix/special/2022/hunga/hunga_ompspca_so2stl_20220114.html), and the results were quite different.
Then,how can i obttain the area of each pixel for the OMPS SO2 product. how about TROPOMI SO2 product?

Tags:

GES DISC - mgreene
User Services
User Services
Answers: 2

Re: How to obttain the area of each pixel for the OMPS SO2 product.

by GES DISC - mgreene » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:34 am America/New_York

The pixel footprint information for OMI is stored in a separate product named OMPIXCOR which provides the corner point lat/lon values and area for each pixel's footprint.

See https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/datacollection/OMPIXCOR_003.html

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: How to obttain the area of each pixel for the OMPS SO2 product.

by GES DISC - jimacker » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:32 pm America/New_York

Additional information:
"Both the OMPS and TROPOMI products do have variables that define the pixel coordinates in latitude and longitude. In OMPS these are /GeolocationData/LatitudeCorner and /GeolocationData/LongitudeCorner and in TROPOMI these are /PRODUCT/SUPPORT_DATA/GEOLOCATIONS/latitude_bounds and /PRODUCT/SUPPORT_DATA/GEOLOCATIONS/longitude_bounds. These coordinates can be used to calculate individual pixel areas."