I have a question regarding when to use MODIS vs VIIRS for AOD and other air quality applications. I originally thought it would be recommended to use VIIRS as it has a higher nadir product resolution at 6km. However, there are 3km and 1km data products for MODIS. I am wondering if there is ever a situation where someone should use the VIIRS data product over MODIS (until MODIS is decommissioned)?
- User Services
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:57 pm America/New_York
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 4 times
I have asked one of our GES DISC staff members who is familiar with these aerosol data products. Here is their answer; note that if you can provide additional information we may be able to give you more specific information.
"I need more information from this user. For example, which VIIRS AOD product (NOAA-NPP or NOAA-20) or the base algorithm (Dark target or Environmental Data Record, or EDR by NOAA’s group), and which region/year/specific event (e.g., wildfire or dust events) they are interested in.
Here are some general answers/suggestions I can provide:
1) Cases using the VIIRS AOD product over the MODIS MAIAC product
• Over tropical region where VIIRS has no swath gap due to its larger swath width (3040 km in VIIRS vs. 2330 km in MODIS) (see He et al., 2021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2021.118265)
• Over transported smoke near scattered clouds, VIIRS provides better retrieval coverage than MAIAC C6.1 owing to its higher spatial resolution, pixel-level processing, and less strict cloud masking (see Ye et al., 2022 https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/14/23/6113)
2) Comparison of MODIS including MAIAC AOD products and VIIRS AOD products (Osgouei et al., 2022 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231021006063"