checksum for NRT files

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
treble
Answers: 0

checksum for NRT files

by treble » Mon May 22, 2023 7:32 pm America/New_York

I noticed the new file naming convention of inserting 'NRT' for near-real-time files. Downloading them occasionally results in corrupted files. For 'normal' files checksums are available. Are there checksums for NRT files as well? If yes, where can I find them?

Normally I can get the checksums through File Search. But NRT files don't show up in File Search.... https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/api/file_search

Thanks!

Tags:

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: checksum for NRT files

by OB ODPS - towens » Tue May 23, 2023 2:01 pm America/New_York

NRT files are readily available in file search.
Just select Data Type "All" or "Quicklook Only" and check the box next to "Include checksum with file name"

Tommy

treble

by treble » Tue May 23, 2023 2:21 pm America/New_York

Ah, I see. I had as data type selected "Level 3 binned", not "Level 3 binned Quicklook". I didn't realize Quicklook files were NRT. Thought they were more like a lower resolution type or something... Thanks!

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - towens » Tue May 23, 2023 2:59 pm America/New_York

We use the NRT notation because QuickLook is long to put in the file name. The NRT files run as soon as the L1 data are available from the satellite, using any available ancillary or climatological met / ozone data. The refined data wait for the refined MERRA2 ancillary and updated calibration. If you are doing science with the files, you want to wait for Refined data.

Tommy

treble

by treble » Tue May 23, 2023 5:15 pm America/New_York

Thanks for the clarification. The NRT images will be used for an upcoming cruise so we can see everyday what the Chl distribution is. Nothing to sciency.