Land Surface Temperature

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
pkondepudi
Answers: 0

Land Surface Temperature

by pkondepudi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 am America/New_York

I am looking for Land Surface Temperature data for Qatar for 5 years (2015-2019). I am only seeing images from earthdata search. I want to see this data in numbers (tabular format would be easier).
Can anyone suggest how do I get this data?
Thx in advance..

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Land Surface Temperature

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:43 pm America/New_York

Thank you for your inquiry. To better assist you, please advise the data product so we can forward your question to a subject matter expert.
Thank you,
Janice

pkondepudi

by pkondepudi » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 am America/New_York

Janice,
I think GOES 16 and 17 may give me the data that i am looking for.
Thanks in advance.
Prasad

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

by GES DISC - jimacker » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:47 pm America/New_York

I suggest using the Giovanni system, https://giovanni.gsfc.nasa.gov/. Search for "surface temperature". There are several data products available, both from satellite instrument observations and reanalysis models. Then you can create an area-averaged time series for your time period of interest with the data products you select, using the shapefile for Qatar.

wfmiller
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by wfmiller » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:25 pm America/New_York

The CERES teams produces hourly cloud properties and other variables from geostationary satellites. This includes skin temperature for clear pixels. Starting with February 2017, Meteosat 8 came available to take observations over Qatar. The files can be found by searching Earthdata for CER_GEO_Ed4_MET08. Before February 2017, the satellite was located further west and likely did not capture Qatar. CERES is not providing data products for earlier satellites for that area to complete your time period.

Another option for skin temperature is the CERES SYN1deg products; however, the skin temperature for land is a mixture of both model provided and satellite observed values. Data is available hourly, daily, monthly, or monthly averaged hourly. A subsetting ability by location and parameter is provided at https://ceres-tool.larc.nasa.gov/ord-to ... ection.jsp

pkondepudi

by pkondepudi » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:30 am America/New_York

Thanks for the information.
I have gone through the skin temperature data for Qatar and I am surprised to find that the monthly average is about 19 degC in WInter (January). I thought it would be higher. I though the difference between skin temperature and the surrounding air temperature would be about 5 to 6 degC in that region. From the data, the difference is only about 2 degC.

I thought the difference in average daily temperature between earth surface and air is higher in Winter compared to Summer due to the radiation loss from the earth is less efficient in Winter (proportional to T^4)

Any thoughts on the temperature difference between the surface of the earth and the surrounding air temperature? Where can I find this data for all locations in the world?
Last edited by pkondepudi on Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:07 am America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.