Kd490 data VIIRS vs MODIS

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Kd490 data VIIRS vs MODIS

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:36 am America/New_York

Tom,

The site you reference is a NOAA site, not NASA. The site does indicate that the MODIS data they present comes from NASA, however the VIIRS data is from NOAA. That said, I looked at the corresponding NASA product, and overall, the Aqua MODIS and SNPP VIIRS Kd490 products agree quite well. Certainly, there are some areas where they diverge, but they are consistent overall. Below are data from the day you referenced, but on a larger geographic scale to give you context:
viirs_kd_11Feb2022.png
viirs_kd_11Feb2022.png (10.5 KiB) Not viewed yet
aqua_kd_11Feb2022.png
aqua_kd_11Feb2022.png (5.83 KiB) Not viewed yet
You had zoomed into the spot where the two differ the most. The reason for that difference boils down to the algorithm itself combined with calibration differences between these two aging instruments.

The current Kd490 algorithm employs a band ratio (well, a maximum band ratio...see the ATBD for details) to relate the remote sensing reflectance signal to the diffuse attenuation at 490nm. That relationship takes on a sigmoidal shape, which means that small differences in the ratio will result in relatively larger changes at the extreme ends of the Kd490 values. So, for high Kd490 (the region you identified has a high retrieved Kd490 value) subtle differences in the ratio between the two instruments can result in big differences in the retrieval.

I hope this helps,
Sean

tomtomascik
Answers: 0

by tomtomascik » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:45 pm America/New_York

Hi Sean,
Thank you very much for taking time to explain the data, much appreciated. I will be using the VIIRS data set. My main objective is to use the Kd490 data for that small 12 quadrant region to compare the 'relative' turbidity among 4 seasons. For those that may be interested, the area in question (St. Martin's Island) represents the northern-most extent of scleractinian coral communities in the northeastern Bay of Bengal that falls into the Myanmar north and Bangladesh Ecoregion ER024. High turbidity is one of the key environmental factors that has prevented coral reef development in the area, even though corals settle and survive on the rocky substrate that surrounds the island.
Sea, I would greatly appreciate it if you would be kind enough to let me know how you produced the VIIRS image of the larger area in your reply. Thanks.
Cheers,
Tom

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:57 pm America/New_York

Tom,
I used the tools we make available with the SeaDAS package to generate those images of the L3 mapped Kd490 data, specifically the l3mapgen program.
Regards,
Sean

tomtomascik

by tomtomascik » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:31 am America/New_York

Hi Sean,
Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the SeaDAS package a while back, but still trying to figure out how to actually use it. I wish there were better tutorials, or a manuals, for those like me with zero knowledge of these systems. Thank you for your help.
Cheers,
Tom

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:51 am America/New_York

Hi @tomtomascik ,

You can find tutorials here; https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/tutorials/video_tutorials/

OB General Science - guoqingw
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB General Science - guoqingw » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:12 am America/New_York

To add on to Sean and Alicia's replies. Here is the help page for data processors including "l3mapgen": https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/help-8.3.0/processors/ProcessOverview.html

tomtomascik

by tomtomascik » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:26 pm America/New_York

Thank you!
Tom