Layer Meanings for the CALIPSO version 4 Level 2 cloud layer product

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
EarthdataForumContributor
Answers: 3

Layer Meanings for the CALIPSO version 4 Level 2 cloud layer product

by EarthdataForumContributor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm America/New_York

On Jul 19, 2017

I'd like to work on the cloud layer product in 5 km resolution, f.ex. CAL_LID_L2_05kmCLay-Standard-V4-10.2008-01-01T04-48-09ZN.hdf. I have difficulty to understand why the maximal number of layers in cloud layer products are 10. What does each layer represent? Since Feature type ranges from 0-7, cloud subtype ranges also from 0-7. Where can I find a table to list the meaning of each layer?
by asdc_user_services » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm America/New_York
On Jul 19, 2017 Brian Getzewich posted
  • What does each layer represent?
Each layer represents a cloud layer detected at differing horizontal averages.
  • I have difficulty to understand why the maximal number of layers in cloud layer products are 10
For any given 5km profile contained in this file we don't expect more than 10 distinct cloud layers.
  • Since Feature type ranges from 0-7, cloud subtype ranges also from 0-7. Where can I find a table to list the meaning of each layer?
https://www-calipso.larc.nasa.gov/resou ... tion_flags

Table 44 contained in the link above will describe what each of the parameters mean.
Go to full post

Tags:

asdc_user_services
User Services
User Services
Answers: 8

Re: Layer Meanings for the CALIPSO version 4 Level 2 cloud layer product

by asdc_user_services » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm America/New_York

On Jul 19, 2017 Brian Getzewich posted
  • What does each layer represent?
Each layer represents a cloud layer detected at differing horizontal averages.
  • I have difficulty to understand why the maximal number of layers in cloud layer products are 10
For any given 5km profile contained in this file we don't expect more than 10 distinct cloud layers.
  • Since Feature type ranges from 0-7, cloud subtype ranges also from 0-7. Where can I find a table to list the meaning of each layer?
https://www-calipso.larc.nasa.gov/resou ... tion_flags

Table 44 contained in the link above will describe what each of the parameters mean.