Error trying to install the OC processor.

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
iagogradin
Answers: 0

by iagogradin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 pm America/New_York

Hi,

I downloaded SeaDas version 7.3.2 for Mac OS.

When I try to download the Oc processor using GUI, I always get this error message:

SeaDAS - error ocssw installation script failed to download
Please check network connection or "seadas.ocssw.root" variable in the "seadas.config" file
possible cause of error: Operation timed out.

My network connection works fine, so I was wondering if you guys would now what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Iago

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:38 am America/New_York

Until a new GUI is released you have to use the manual installation procedure on the Download page.   The python version that comes with MacOS does not work, so you will need to use a 3rd party Python (Anaconda or macports).

davouris

by davouris » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 am America/New_York

Hello,

I too am having trouble installing the OCSSW processors on my mac. I am running El Capitan v. 10.11.6. The error I get when I run the install_ocssw.py script is this:

Riesling:Downloads dulci$ python install_ocssw.py
  File "install_ocssw.py", line 168
    else:
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Riesling:Downloads dulci$

This is using the original default python that comes with a Mac. I know that I need to upgrade my python so it talks nicely to SeaDAS. So I downloaded the recommended Anaconda python v. 2.7. The navigator does not work. When I try to open it with the icon it just disappears. So I tried to launch it from a terminal, and got this error:

Riesling:~ dulci$ conda install anaconda-navigator
Fetching package metadata .........
Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment /Users/dulci/anaconda:

The following packages will be UPDATED:

conda: 4.3.8-py27_0 --> 4.3.11-py27_0

Proceed ([y]/n)? y

conda-4.3.11-p 100% |##################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:00   2.61 MB/s
Riesling:~ dulci$ anaconda-navigator
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/bin/anaconda-navigator", line 6, in <module>
    sys.exit(anaconda_navigator.app.main.main())
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/app/main.py", line 52, in main
    start_app(options)
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/app/start.py", line 87, in start_app
    window = run_app(splash)
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/app/start.py", line 42, in run_app
    window = MainWindow(splash=splash)
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/widgets/main_window.py", line 204, in __init__
    self.environments_tab = EnvironmentsTab(parent=self)
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/widgets/tabs/environments.py", line 131, in __init__
    data_directory=CHANNELS_PATH,
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/widgets/manager/packages.py", line 382, in __init__
    self.api.client_set_domain(self.api.client_get_api_url())
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/api/client_api.py", line 365, in set_domain
    binstar_client.utils.set_config(config)
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/binstar_client/utils/config.py", line 260, in set_config
    save_config(data, USER_CONFIG if user else SYSTEM_CONFIG)
  File "/Users/dulci/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/binstar_client/utils/config.py", line 255, in save_config
    raise BinstarError('%s: %s' % (exc.filename, exc.strerror,))
binstar_client.errors.BinstarError: /Users/dulci/.continuum/anaconda-client: Permission denied

I have no idea what any of that means other than that the permission is denied.

So now I can't install the OCSSW processors using the python that I have, and I can open the anaconda python from my terminal but it won't run the install_ocssw script. I get the same error about line 168.

What do I do?

Thank you so much!
Dulci

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:26 pm America/New_York

Others have reported this on the Continuum Forums, but the two recommendations: use
"sudo" and disabling SIP aren't (as pointed out by Stephen Waterbury) satisfactory.

davouris

by davouris » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm America/New_York

Gotcha. Whether anaconda navigator works for me or not is a largely moot issue, because I just need the OCSSW processors to install. I don't code in python, so I am unfamiliar with how to work around different issues. The error message I got saying that there was a syntax error on line 168 in the install_ocssw.py code was also displayed when I ran the anaconda python from the command line.

I appreciate that so many people are active on this forum.

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:19 pm America/New_York

I'm sorry you're having some much trouble with this...:confused:
I did not use the graphical installer for anaconda, rather the command-line installer.
That installed flawlessly.  I was then able to run the install_ocssw.py script with no issues, so I'm surprised it's giving you fits.

Maybe if you remove anaconda and reinstall using the command-line installer it might work...

Sean

davouris

by davouris » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:05 pm America/New_York

Hi Sean,

I reinstalled python with the Anaconda command line processor, and I also re-downloaded the install_ocssw.py script. It is currently installing! Yay! Thank you!

-dulci