Series of images MODIS Aqua L2 of coastal region ( chlorophyll)

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
nada31
Answers: 0

by nada31 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 am America/New_York

please do not ignore my questions
Hello
I have downloaded a serie (10 years) of MODIS aqua L2 images of a coastal region in order to observe the chlorphyll
my question is
how to process these images with Seadas software
and what I can add to my work apart from the study of chlorphyll (which I add the algorithm improvement or carbon study)
please i am beginner with seadas and i am lost in my work
thank you in advance

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:49 am America/New_York

You need to formulate more specific questions, but to get started there are tutorials on the SeaDAS page.   You don't mention your platform.  If you are using Windows you can't install the OCSSW Processing System, but you do have the Graph Processing Framework (GPF) and Toolkit (gpt) from ESA BEAM.  If you are using GPF/gpt, you may find the ESA Documentation helpful.   ESA has stopped work on BEAM and is developing a multi-mission version called SNAP that can work with both ESA and NASA products, has many new gpt "Operators", and has extensive tutorials.

nada31

by nada31 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:27 am America/New_York

HI
I installed the seadas software under unix ubuntu 16.04 and I also install OCSSW processing system
however I have to upload pictures modis aqua L2 (10 years). I also saw the tutorial on the software seadas .ma question is: give me a working plan or worked method in order to have results
thank you

gfireman

by gfireman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 am America/New_York

You say you want results.
What results are you looking for?
You say you "have to upload pictures modis aqua L2 (10 years)", but that doesn't tell us what your goals are.
For instance, are you trying to export MODIS Aqua chlorophyll as mapped pngs?

gnwiii

by gnwiii » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:19 pm America/New_York

@nada31:   A wide variety of workflows use SeaDAS to produce various "artifacts", so you need to be much more specific about the results you hope to get.  SeaDAS is a very large and complex system, so even experienced oceanographers need to spend some time becoming familiar with the terminology and capabilities of SeaDAS.

Since you appear to be interested in OCSSW processing, a good place to start learning about what can be done with the OCSSW processing system is the SeaDAS benchmark script.  This is a bash shell script.  Running the script is a simple test of your installation, and generates a log file with all the processing steps.  You can use the GUI to run the same series of steps.  The GUI will display the various options for each of the processing programs, so is a good way to get a feel for what can be done.  You can follow tutorials to work with the benchmark results to add bathymetry, adjust colors, etc.

You can look for other more serious examples in the journal literature or thru internet searches.  Those examples often include some information  on how the products were generated.   In these forums you can find other posts asking for specific help with some aspect of a workflow that can give you an idea of what is needed.   People of these forums do go above and beyond to help with questions, but you have an obligation to put some effort into forming precise and clear questions.  We do understand this can be difficult if English is not your native language and your are new to the field!

nada31

by nada31 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 am America/New_York

thank you for proposing this idea Mr gfireman
I think that will start to work.
first, I transform all the L2 images in L3 then I see the progression of chlorophyll over the 10 years
then I merge these images to give a single image and
  i trying to export MODIS Aqua chlorophyll as mapped pngs
is this a good method ,?
( sorry for my bad English )

nada31

by nada31 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:29 am America/New_York

thank you very much Mr gnwiii for your advice they were very useful for me
I will take into account applied these tips
and sorry for my bad english

gnwiii

by gnwiii » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 am America/New_York

I'm glad you are making headway on your project, and extra points for persistence despite the language issues.