Issue with extracted L1A files

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
dbotis
Answers: 0

by dbotis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am America/New_York

Hi,

Today, I ordered a set of 2017 VIIRS L1A files for the Gulf of Mexico. When the email confirmation came back that the order was ready, it stated that:

"NO extract files could be created for the coordinates you specified:

North Latitude          : 31
South Latitude          : 18
West Longitude          : -98
East Longitude          : -79"

Everything was normal with the order until then. The list of files at the last step of the order was correct and the region of interest appeared normally on the map, but the files were unable to be extracted for some reason. Is there an issue with L1A extraction for VIIRS? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks,

Dan

Tags:

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - towens » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm America/New_York

Sorry Dan,
L1A extracts are not yet supported for VIIRS.
It is on the the todo list and may be available soon.
You can order the full L1A and extract them yourself using SeaDAS or you can have our system extract the L2 products.

Tommy

dbotis

by dbotis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:23 pm America/New_York

Ok. Thanks. I'll just grab the full passes.

Dan

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am America/New_York

Dan,

Just to follow up, i added VIIRS L1-extract capability to our order manager yesterday in response to this topic, and your orders are in the process of staging.  It's fine if you've already retrieved the full granules.  Processing the orders will exercise the new functionality.

Regards,
john

dbotis

by dbotis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am America/New_York

Yes. I got an email notice that the extracted files have been created. Thanks!

Dan

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:36 am America/New_York

Yes, if it was the notification for order 4090b090c30aa65d, it was partially staged.  Each order has a limit for how much data can be staged at one time (currently 40 GB), and once reached, staging stops, and a notification is sent to user.  After downloading the staged data, users can either initiate a deletion of the staged data or wait for a 3-day period, after which the next batch of data will be staged.  The staged files are packaged into tar files to try to reduce the number of HTTP requests necessary to download the order, and the order manager stops adding files to a tar file once its size exceeds 250 MB.  VIIRS L1 files can be larger than that so it's possible for a tar file to just get a single file in it with the current configuration, but most of the ones i checked have 3-4 files in them.

john

dbotis

by dbotis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:51 pm America/New_York

Thanks, John

Downloading the first set now. I will send the delete email when finished. For some reason, I cannot login to the data order tracking page (I put a separate post on the forum about this).

One other question on some MODIS L1A extractions for order f04020a0c505ac5c. For some reason, it only extracts up to day 2017271. After that, it says no extractions are possible. This seems strange to me, as the ROI is the same. Any ideas on that are appreciated.

Dan

OB ODPS - jgwilding
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - jgwilding » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:58 pm America/New_York

Dan,

The problem with order f04020a0c505ac5c was caused by geo-location failures.  The UTC-pole file, which is updated daily as part of standard production and distributed to all of our processing hosts nightly, became too old on the hosts that stage orders.  The problem there was that the subversion client got updated and could no longer update the working directory that contained the file.  That problem has been resolved, and i reset the status on the failed files of that order so they get another pass through the order manager.

Thanks for bringing that problem to my attention as it was bound to affect other orders as well eventually if it hasn't already.

john