SeaDAS 8.1.0 -- MODIS GEO file

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
avmehta
Answers: 0

SeaDAS 8.1.0 -- MODIS GEO file

by avmehta » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:46 pm America/New_York

Hello,
I installed Seadas 8.1.0 and OCCSW on my Mac. I am trying to get MODIS GEO file via GUI but get the attached error (my .netrc file is OK and has worked before).
I'd appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
Amita
Attachments
MODIS-GEO 2021-07-07 at 4.33.37 PM.png
MODIS-GEO 2021-07-07 at 4.33.37 PM.png (245.25 KiB) Not viewed yet
Last edited by avmehta on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 pm America/New_York, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

Re: MODIS GEO file

by gnwiii » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:47 am America/New_York

Other macOS users have had problems using the "system" python3. As for linux, it is recommended that you not make changes to the "system" python3,
but use either a different python distribution (there are many, including anacoda, python.org, macports, homebrew, ...). The download authentication error points to the Python requests module, so you should try installing a current requests module in a way that does not affect the system python.

avmehta

by avmehta » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 am America/New_York

Hello,
Thank you for your help with this issue. I find it surprising that I was able to process VIIRS (GEO file, L1B, and L2) and OLI (L1 to L2) images without any problems! It is just MODIS! I will have to get some help with python and hopefully it will work!
By the way my Mac has Anaconda python.
Thanks again.
Amita

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 am America/New_York

The MODIS geolocation processing requires that the attitude and ephemeris data be retrieved from the OB.DAAC servers, the VIIRS geolocation processing does not.

The authentication error indicates exactly that... an error authenticating. It is only reported when the server returns an HTTP error code 401. The most common reason for that is incorrect or lack of credentials passed in. The code uses the requests module and provides the credentials from the .netrc file. If you are certain those are correct, you may want to verify that your version of the requests module meets the requirements (https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/requirements/)

Sean

avmehta

by avmehta » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm America/New_York

Hello Sean,
I have requests in my anaconda python library:
Requirement already satisfied: requests in /Users/avmehta/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages (2.21.0)

Should I just update this?

I have always been able to download data from Earthdata sites -- I also checked by .netrc file and looks fine.

Thanks much for your help.
Amita

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:58 pm America/New_York

On a Mac, SeaDAS tends to prefer the system installed python, which is fine, as long as it has the requests module (and it's 2.18 or newer). What is the requests library version for that?

Sean

avmehta

by avmehta » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:22 pm America/New_York

On my Mac reinstalling requests helped I think! I was able to process an image from 2019.
But multiple images from 2021 give the error: Geolocation processing failed (please see the attached).
Thanks.
Amita
Attachments
GEO-error.pdf
(472.39 KiB) Downloaded 458 times

gnwiii

Re: SeaDAS 8.1.0 -- MODIS GEO file

by gnwiii » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 pm America/New_York

Posting screen captures should be avoided. If you copy and paste text into forum posts then the text is searchable and also make it easier for someone to use quotes from the text in a response.

Code: Select all

% modis_GEO -h
usage: modis_GEO [-h] [--version] [-p PARFILE] [-o GEOFILE] [--att1 ATT1] [--att2 ATT2] [--att3 ATT3] [--eph1 EPH1]
                 [--eph2 EPH2] [--eph3 EPH3] [--ancdb ANCDB] [--ancdir ANCDIR] [-c] [-r] [-f] [--disable-download]
                 [--timeout TIMEOUT] [--threshold THRESHOLD] [-d] [-v] [--log]
                 [L1AFILE]

positional arguments:
  L1AFILE               Input L1A file

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit 
[...]
  -v, --verbose         print status messages
  --log                 Save processing log file(s)
You should mention the input file used. Does "modis_GEO" fail on all files or just one file? You can get more information by running "modis_GEO --verbose --log ..." (in a terminal). If this information doesn't explain the problem, you can attach the log files to a post (sometimes the log files have the same message repeated my times, resulting a very large file with low information value -- in that case you may want to paste one message line into a forum post).

avmehta

by avmehta » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:07 am America/New_York

Hello,
Thank you for the reply to my message.
I am using GUI for now and every image I tried for 2021 has this problem.
I randomly tried 2018 and 2019 images -- they work but I do find that in GUI
also is ' unstable' -- loading files in GEO, L1B and L2 processing does not always work! Not sure if it is my Mac or the new software!
Thanks.
Amita

gnwiii

by gnwiii » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 am America/New_York

As Sean mentioned, macOS defaults to the system python. Can you try running the SeaDAS GUI from a terminal with "Anacoda python" (see "https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/inst ... y-install/")?