obtaining pixels with sun glint in seadas

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
dogun
Answers: 0

by dogun » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:14 pm America/New_York

Hi all,

Wondering if there's a way to extract few pixels with specular reflection only. I need to choose few pixels with sun glint over deep water area. Wondering if there's a way to do this in SeaDAS. Not an expert in doing this visually...

Thanks.

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - knowles
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - knowles » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:40 am America/New_York

First, create a bathymetry band/mask using the Bathymetry Tool, setting "Min Depth" to your deep water threshold.  I'm assuming we are talking about a level2 file?  Go to Mask Manager and toggle on the HIGLINT mask and BATHYMETRY mask.  You can create an intersection mask if you wish,  GLINT_OVER_DEEP_WATER="HIGLINT && BATHYMETRY_MASK".   Place a pin(s) in areas of interest within this mask.

Use the Pixel Extraction Tool.  Select your box size and aggregation method.  Select your region of interest mask in the Expression field.  Of note is that you can make a super huge window size if you so wish.  Combining this with region of interest masking means you have a lot of flexibility of choice here.

Danny

dogun

by dogun » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 pm America/New_York

Thanks Danny.

dogun

by dogun » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 pm America/New_York

Does the solution described above work for Landsat 8 images too. I was trying to get the pixels infected with sunlit on a Landsat 8 images but looks like I can't add bathymetry to Landsat image in SeaDAS?
Thanks,