Featured images

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
OB WebDev - norman
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 0

Featured images

by OB WebDev - norman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:01 am America/New_York

Hi Fabrizio,

Those images look much better now.

Indeed you can perform most of the same operations using ImageMagick as you can in
gimp.  See, for instance, the "-compose" option to the convert command.

https://imagemagick.org/Usage/compose/#math

Note, however, that sometimes blending modes with the same names in ImageMagick
and gimp have slightly different pixel mathematics.  You will just have to experiment.

What is harder to do is to apply automated image modifications in a way that is tailored
to the specific characteristics of any given scene.  Sun glint, aerosols, land and water
albedos all can vary quite a bit from one location or time to the next.

Regards and good luck,
Norman

Tags:

dortenzio

Re: Featured images

by dortenzio » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:42 pm America/New_York

Dear all (and in particular Norman)

It's been over four years since the last of these posts, and during this time, I've developed an automatic system to routinely generate feature images, inspired by Norman's exceptional work. You can view these images at https://truecolors.imev-mer.fr.

While the images may not possess the same level of beauty as those generated by Norman, the advantage lies in the complete automation of the process.

Recently, a colleague of mine approached me regarding a special issue on "Art & Science" and expressed interest in publishing one of the images I've generated. Hence, I find it pertinent to seek your input on this matter. Do you foresee any inconvenience in publishing one of the images that I have generated? If not, how should I properly acknowledge Norman (and the forum) for their contributions? I guess that the « simple » sentence akwnoledging the NASA (that I often used publishing my science papers) is not enough

Furthermore, I am open to the idea of having Norman (or any other people you consider pertinent) listed as a co-author, considering it would be an honor.
Thanky you very much for you answer
Fabrizio

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:55 pm America/New_York

Fabrizio,

Norman has retired. I've sent him a note about this post, so he'll know how much you appreciated his work and assistance.

There is absolutely no issue with images generated from data you obtained from NASA to be published. Attribution is not required, but we do appreciate acknowledgment. You can use the examples on our "how-to-cite" page to craft an appropriate one to include.

I leave it to Norman (should he respond) as to whether or not he'd be amenable to being a co-author, though I bet he'd just be happy leaving the credit with you.

Regards,
Sean

OB WebDev - norman
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB WebDev - norman » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:05 pm America/New_York

Hi Fabrizio,

Greetings from retirement!

Congratulations on your work. Thank you for the kind words, but you do not need to list me as a co-author. Some reference back to the OBDAAC and the forum might be useful for others who may want to follow in your footsteps, however.

Ciao,
Norman